Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

jmg

Best line for swimbaits in the weeds?

6 posts in this topic

I was thinking about getting serious about doing some weed walleye fishing with swimbaits,  but unsure if I need to use braid and, if so, tie directly or use fluoro leader section?  I also thought about a 12-14lb. Copolymer mono.  Need something that will work with med. size spinning reel.  Any thoughts?

Wishing all the Papas out there a happy fathers' day!

Is anybody out there trying this technique?

I use braid for everything.  You might consider thin wire as a leader, unless you don't mind bite offs.

Thanks, Del!

I really started liking "Super 8 Slick"  Power Pro. Casts great and does good job of cutting through the weeds when needed. I have a long spinning rod just for long casts for smallies in clear water, and this is the line I use. Can cast a country mile! Even with lightweight jigs and plastic. I will go exclusively to this as I need to re-spool others.

Cortland Toothy Critter tieable wire is good stuff too. Thin, fairly easy to tie, and resists kinking under most instances. I use this for sucker fishing or on one senko rig in my hammer handle filled lake. I am going to put it on more of my rods this summer, but I do like some with flouro leaders if the fish get finicky.

Good luck.

I would go with the Power Pro tied directly to a 20lb flourocarbon leader. 20lb is no guarantee against bite offs but has significantly reduced the number for me.  Any lighter and use lose the protection; any heavier and you lose the action of the bait.

I use that combination on several of my rigs.