• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tire slime in car tire?

Not sure on the sensors but at 5-10 bucks a can of slime I have found most tire places I have been to will fix a leak or hole for 25 bucks flat.  Well worth it in my opinion to just have it done.  Screw in my last tire was 15 minutes and 25 bucks.  I think it was 40-50 if you don't take the tire off and bring it in.

If you are a member of Sams they will fix flat tires for free (at least my membership, maybe the "plus"?..). My last three they have done were due to aluminum rims corrosion, and no probs after they removed tires, cleaned it up, and put tires back on.

10 minutes ago, BoxMN said:

If you are a member of Sams they will fix flat tires for free (at least my membership, maybe the "plus"?..). My last three they have done were due to aluminum rims corrosion, and no probs after they removed tires, cleaned it up, and put tires back on.

Excellent info... I have a business membership and didnt know that.  Will have to see if I'm elligable.

Yes slime can damage the sensor. Your are putting an electronic device in contact with a liquid. 

Don't put it in your tire. The shop (speaking from expirinece) does not like green surprises. That 10 bucks usually costs a lot more down the road. It probably says in the owners manual not to use it or that using it will damage the sensor.  If you don't have tpms sensors in the tire and you do use it you'll have an upset tech.

Also. Once you use slim you can't repair the tire. From my expirience again the slime causes the inner liner to get to a point where a rubber cement will not adhear to the tire.

12 hours ago, GRA said:

Quick question--got a slow slow leak in tire on 2015 Impala, garage can't find it. Will tire slime screw up the air pressure sensors?

In my experience it is probably a bead leak, caused by corrosion or other crud on the area where the tire bead seals to the rim.  Try having them take the tire off, clean up the rim real well and put some sealer stuff on there when putting the tire back on. 

I dealt with that for quite a while on my 99 Explorer, until someone finally fixed it right.  

Do not use fix a flat in a car tire, especially slime!

1. it will likley not fix the leak
  2. it will cause the tire to be out of balance
  3. it will make a repair more difficult
  4. it can ruin the TPMS sensor ($100 + repair)
  5. Many times a shop will charge extra to remove it from the tire in order to complete a repair. (i charge $10 on top of the tire repair)

Get a second opinion. If its leaking they should be able to find it!

Thanks for the replies. I asked this question on a farm site forum and everybody said don't use it. It will damage the aluminum wheels and screw up sensors. Its a super slow, 1-2 lb. leak per week and garage couldn't find it. Suggested I try kids bubble blowing liquid on it to try and find leak. I think its probably from aluminum wheels corroding.

I had a slow leak in "tire" that no one could find. Finally after tanking the wheel and tire under high pressure, saw a bubble or two come up. It was a pinhole in a weld on the custom wheel. Bet yours is corroded rim. Pretty common in the land of sand and salt. Clean up, smooth out, good to go.