Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

busse3775

Creek Chubs

7 posts in this topic

Anyone have experience in catching there own creek chubs and would like to share any advice or tips? I am thinking of buying a couple minnow traps to try it out.

I've targeted them before years ago with tiny ice jigs and a bit of worm, 2 lb test on an ultralight.

But I've never used a minnow trap for them, not sure on the legal transportation of them these days with invasive species and all that.

What type of creek or river should I look for to target them? I planned on using a trap then transporting them into my homemade aerated cooler in my vehicle.

Minnesota DNR page

Bait

Can I take my own minnows and leeches?

Yes, if you have a fishing license, you can take an unlimited number of minnows and leeches for personal use only. However, you can only transport up to 12 dozen at a time. Where can I take minnows and leeches? With some exceptions, you can take them from all waters of the state where you can legally access the water. Exceptions include: • Most infested waters • All streams and connected waters in Lincoln, Pipestone, Murray, Rock and Nobles counties south of U.S. Highway 14 and west of U.S. Highway 59 to the South Dakota border. • A harvest permit is required to take madtoms and stonecats in Dodge, Freeborn and Mower counties. When can I harvest bait from infested waters? • Minnows and leeches may be taken for personal use from waters infested solely with Eurasian watermilfoil using a cylindrical trap not exceeding 16 inches in diameter and 32 inches long. • Bullhead, sucker, mooneye, goldeye and sheepshead may be taken by hook and line from infested rivers or streams for personal use as bait for fishing on the same river or stream where the bait was taken. This bait may not be transported live from or off the river or stream. Where the river or stream is divided by barriers such as

Checked out google earth and it looks like there are a couple decent smaller creeks around my area. Anything specific I should be looking for that would hold them?

If you can get access to a drainage ditch that feeds a river or creek that connects to a slough that would be a good place. I have a spot locally that is usually packed with them.

busse3775 likes this

Put my first trap out last night in a drainage ditch off the Red River. Going to check it out after work this evening, so its just a waiting game now!