Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Tom7227

Furnace - repair or replace

8 posts in this topic

RUUD high efficiency with a two speed fan motor installed 12-2000.  Don't know what it is but the fan won't run.  Tech coming later today.  Should I consider repair or would you replace a 15+year old furnace?  If replace what is a good brand.  I would rather pay for quality than screw around trying to save a couple hundred.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

I wouldn't put more than $150-200 in a 15+ yr old furnace. Depends on how much money you can toss around. Same problem for me on my 15 yo Carrier year before last, comp board went out. $250 for new one. Nuh uh.  Carrier, Trane, Lennox, Bryant, each one has it's merit. More important IMO is your local HVAC company that sells/installs it....are they going to stand behind it? That's a big plus.

We just replaced our furnace last year.  I want to say it was $2400.  Your current furnace sounds the same as our old furnace and we replaced the motor probably 5 years ago, it was not all that expensive, couple hundred bucks for motor and install.    Our old furnace stopped firing up 2 February's ago,  turned out to be the circuit board and would have cost $1000+ to fix.  We decided then to replace as the RUUD furnaces have about 20 year life span. Ours was put in, in 1992.

I would say if it is just the blower fan, it would just fix it.  If it is much more I would replace.

A good furnace tech will diagnose the problem in short time.   Hope the_ are good and honest because a high percentage of furnace problems require a $15 part.     Curious, do the burners ignite?

BartmanMN likes this

Two different tech's came out and both said that it was the motor and that it would be around a grand to replace it.  I am going to go with a new rig, only question is which model/level of efficiency.  Current one is 95% with a 2 speed fan.  Doubt it makes sense to go any higher.  The blower motor came on and the burner ignited.  I shut it down before it reached the high limit.

There is no way it should cost that kind of money to replace a blower fan motor. I replaced mine myself, piece of crumb cake.

RebelSS likes this

A grand for a fan motor?! Which "motor" are you referring to? You say later the "fan motor came on"....I upgraded my fan motor to a better quality USA made heavier one...ran me $200 installed, only because I didn't have the time to do it myself in the middle of winter. Is it just the fan motor, or also the control board? That would still be awful high...I'd check into doing it yourself (Or an electrician buddy) It's pretty easy, like roony said.

Moon Lake Refuge likes this

The motor is a two speed with a computer control or something attached that allows it to change speed based on how long it takes to reach the set temp in the house.   I am familiar with changing motors in furnaces and would do it if it would have solved the problem and if the part was a reasonable price.