• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Truck Tire Recomendations

2004 F-150, not a huge fan of this truck but I need new tires for it.

I only put a few thousand miles on this truck every year.  It's basically the boat puller, ice fishing machine, weekend adventure mobile.  In the summer it pulls a 17 foot fishing boat, mostly to the launch on the river 5 miles away but occasionally a trip up north.  In the fall/winter, it gets more mileage headed up north for hunting and ice fishing.  

I'm looking for some recommendations on tires considering what I use it for.  Looking for good traction in the winter or through snow, but still good for road/towing use.  Wear/longetivity is always a consideration, but the minimal miles per year plays into that equation as well.  Not looking for two sets of tires for this thing.  

Basically, I'm looking for a good all around tire, considering that the sidewall is likely going to crack and rot before I burn the tread down.

Edited by bobbymalone

here is a thread I just made on here a few months ago basically asking the same thing:

I went with the Goodyear's so far been a great road tire. Haven't got to really work them yet off road. Didn't hurt my MPG at all either.

Goodyear Wrangler All-Terain Adventure.

You just missed our month long buy 3 get one free tire deal.

Goodyear has a $140 mail in rebate if you put them on your goodyear credit card by the end of this month.

4 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Road Runner from Fleet Farm?

I wouldn't put those on my push mower!!! :o

20 hours ago, Kidd said:

Michelin LTX.  I have been putting them on my trucks for years.  Great traction and ride quite. 

I love Michelins.  But they seemed like overkill for a few thousand miles per year. 

On 6/13/2016 at 11:44 AM, rundrave said:

here is a thread I just made on here a few months ago basically asking the same thing:

I went with the Goodyear's so far been a great road tire. Haven't got to really work them yet off road. Didn't hurt my MPG at all either.

bumping this up, basically got 45k out of my Goodyear Wrangler All-Terain Adventures, despite rotating every 5k. Now in the hunt for new tires again, but would be really nice to get some better mileage out of tires. Or are my expectations too high? If they say its a 60k tire I realize everyone's driving situations are unique but for a truck that basically sees the highway I expected more than 45k.

Had the same experience with the Wranglers.  The one plus is softer tires have more grip.  When they’re new, they’re great!  I don’t plan on going back to them.

I just put on a set of Michelin’s.  Supposed to be all season but more of a highway tread with good siping.  They’ve been great on water and decent in snow; pretty wide channels that clear easily but I’m still holding final judgment till I’ve been on the lake a few times.  The old Michelin’s I took off were worn but last year was miserable on the ice.  The channels were narrow and packed in all the time.  LOTS of getting stuck.  I’m hoping I don’t regret not going the more aggressive route for the sake of a quieter ride.

I don’t know how many miles were on the old Michelins.

I just put on a set of Falken Wildpeak ATW3 before hunting season and have been impressed so far. The only problem is I don’t have anything to compare against because they replaced the factory tires on my pickup that were 6 years old. I wanted a little more aggressive tire than the factory tires and these seemed to fit that description. I only put about 7-8k miles on my pickup a year so it’s going to take a while to find out for sure how they are in the wrong run but I am happy so far and the price on these tires was great. 

I ran my last set of hankook dynapro ATM tires for 94,000 and wasn't at the 3/32 wear mark. Just wanted to get a new set before I started grad school. 40k on my current set without issues. I rotated mine every 7500 miles. I have a friend who got 103,000 out of his set. I know people will call BS but I have no reason to lie and no incentive. Both were on half ton chev trucks and I took mine down some super sketchy farm roads that were previously flooded and some flooded logging roads. It's the only tire I'll buy and their fairly affordable. Also a good alignment goes a long ways in the longevity of tires

Last time I looked at this thread my pick up was brand new. I've always been old school up until this truck, ignored the door and ran the psi at what the tire was rated for, also rotated myself in the driveway front to back. Ended up getting 70 k on a set of bfgoodrich at's. Now back to this truck, stock Firestone Transforce at's,   stuck with the door ( 60 psi in the front and 80 in the rear) and barely got 40 k out of em and that's with having the dealer cross rotate twice a year. Just put a set of cooper AT LTX I believe they are, pretty aggressive but comes with a 60 k warranty for an E rated tire. They are set to the manufacturers specs but leaning on running the same psi all the way around.. your thoughts?

As has already been alluded to, the way you drive makes a big difference on how long tires will last.

Co-worker and I had the exact same tires, got them at about the same time.

I got 75k on a set of 65k tires.

He drives like a moron and only got 25k out of them, "Worst tires ever".

Sure was fun for the next couple of years pointing out they were still on my rig.

Yea, I can be an arsehole offline as well.   :D

1 hour ago, bobberineyes said:

They are set to the manufacturers specs but leaning on running the same psi all the way around.. your thoughts?

I've always ran what the tires sidewall stated and same on all tires

45 minutes ago, Duffman said:

As has already been alluded to, the way you drive makes a big difference on how long tires will last.

My friends give me a hard that I drive like an old man and drive a normal cab long box. I rarely exceed 5mph over the limit, accelerate slow and drive knowing I'll be the one fixing it if it breaks. Lots of truth to your quote Duffman

BF Goodrich KO2's.

I have been running the KO's for years now and won't switch until something better comes along.  I drove the last three pickups I ordered straight from the dealership to the tire shop.  Had the stock tires removed and KO's put on.  This is the first vehicle with the KO2's and I really like them so far.  Have about 30K on them with no issues.  They are great in winter, excellent traction on the boat ramps and almost no squat when towing.  I went to these tires because the stock tires on a past truck pulled terrible.  They are E1 load rated, but still drive nice down the road when not towing.

On 12/11/2019 at 9:19 PM, Kettle said:

I ran my last set of hankook dynapro ATM tires for 94,000 and wasn't at the 3/32 wear mark. Just wanted to get a new set before I started grad school. 40k on my current set without issues. I rotated mine every 7500 miles. I have a friend who got 103,000 out of his set. I know people will call BS but I have no reason to lie and no incentive. Both were on half ton chev trucks and I took mine down some super sketchy farm roads that were previously flooded and some flooded logging roads. It's the only tire I'll buy and their fairly affordable. Also a good alignment goes a long ways in the longevity of tires

I just put these on my 98 k1500 and hope for similar results! Shop said lots of plow trucks love them in winter and affordable. I think my 265/75/16's were $660 out the door at a shop near me. Discount was slightly cheaper but I wanted to go with neighborhood shop. Discount Tire guy said unless I wanted to really jump to over $200 a tire, these would perform as good or better than any close to the price. FWIW....

Last set were an off brand MultiMile AT and there were great tires. Got over 75k on them and traction was great. 

Well I made it through the winter and never got stuck but just got a flat on the 4th and after a plug job I am not risking it any more :)  I am down to 3/32nds and need to get some new tires sooner rather than later. Any mileage  updates or performance in snow/offroad updates from anyone that's runs some miles up on some tires?

Edited by rundrave

I have been running Good Year all season for years and have had great luck with them..  and get some very mileage from them too...  but there are lots other good one's out there too..

Well I narrowed it down to the Yokohama Geolandar A/T’s just got them installed today. I’m curious to see how well they will hold up and work in the snow etc.

Initial impression is I like the look but a little more road noise then I’m used to. Will see if they quiet down after I get some miles on them.

I was going to give the Hankook Dynapro a try but decided against them.

E5F5500A-37AF-4CFA-934D-7B21945A25D4.jpeg

Edited by rundrave