• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Black Hills

Big Dave2

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

We're staying for a week so hopefully we will be going lots of places.

Badlands
Wall Drug
Mount Rushmore
Crazy Horse 
1880 Train
Custer State Park
Hot Springs
Spearfish
Deadwood
Sturgis
etc.

We have been out there a few times with the kids in years past. Looks like you have the list about right. Be aware. Ton of other little attraction all along the way, there are billboards about every 100 yards for them down the highways. Some or a little Hokey and some are fun. Some you have to drive miles off the main road to see i;e Corn Palace!

Drop the trailer and take the Wild life loops in Custer State Park in early morning or evening, lot more critters out then. Do not let your wife or kid get out and feed or pet the Buffalo. :crazy:  unless you have their Life Insur, up to date and need a new boat! :)

Edited by leech~~

sounds like you got it covered hope you have a good trip. I would also add to take a look at needles highway and Sylvan lake if you want some more scenic options. I know with your situation Harney Peak may be out of the question but could you do Horses? Great view from the tallest point in SD. Devils Tower is also worth the drive just over the border in Wyoming also.

I would skip the corn palace but that's just my opinion lol. Plan your fuel up and food stop at Al's Oasis in Oacoma just as you cross the Missouri River instead.

8 hours ago, rundrave said:

sounds like you got it covered hope you have a good trip. I would also add to take a look at needles highway and Sylvan lake if you want some more scenic options.

We definitely plan to drive the needles highway and we are staying at Horse Thief Campground which appears to be quite close to Sylvan Lake so we do plan to see that too. 

8 hours ago, rundrave said:

I know with your situation Harney Peak may be out of the question but could you do Horses? Great view from the tallest point in SD. Devils Tower is also worth the drive just over the border in Wyoming also.

I'm not sure if we'll make it to Devil's Tower but the rest of our group is planning to hike Harney Peak. I won't be up for it but it should be a good experience for my wife, son and the friend he is bringing.

not a fast walk but lots of stairs.  

from the site

Scenic Tour Details: This tour is moderately strenuous and lasts 1 hour and 20 minutes. The tour enters and leaves the cave by elevator in the visitor center. The tour route involves walking up and down 723 stair steps along a 1/2 mile paved trail. This tour provides an opportunity to visit chambers decorated with calcite crystals and other speleothems with electric lighting. Scenic Tours are limited to 30 people per tour. It is recommended that children five and under participate on the Discovery Talk. Parents may not carry a child of any age on the Scenic Tour. All tour participants must be able to navigate the 723 stair steps along the tour route unassisted.

On 6/12/2016 at 9:23 PM, Big Dave2 said:

We're staying for a week so hopefully we will be going lots of places.

Badlands
Wall Drug
Mount Rushmore
Crazy Horse 
1880 Train
Custer State Park
Hot Springs
Spearfish
Deadwood
Sturgis
etc.

We're back from our week long Black Hills trip. I had to look at this thread to see how much of my list we ended up doing. We didn't make it to Hot Springs and we didn't ride the 1880 train. We did several other things instead though:

Helicopter tour
Sylvan Lake
Needles Hwy
Checked out several wineries and breweries
Site of former Full Throttle bar in Sturgis
Fish Hatchery in Spearfish
Roughlock Falls
Sanford Lab Homestake Visitor Center
Reptile Gardens
Bear Country USA
Cosmos Mystery Area

We saw lots of Buffalo and other wildlife and had a LOT of fun.This was an awesome trip that I would highly recommend everyone take at least once! 

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good campground to stay at in the Black Hills.  It's just me and my wife so we don't need any kid amenities.  Just need 30A site with full hookups.  I was looking at Fort Welikit.  Thanks.

22 minutes ago, loosegoose said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good campground to stay at in the Black Hills.  It's just me and my wife so we don't need any kid amenities.  Just need 30A site with full hookups.  I was looking at Fort Welikit.  Thanks.

I don't know anything about Fort Welikit, I don't even remember seeing that campground. But it looks like it is close to the area we like. We find the Hill City area to be pretty centrally located to most of the things we want to do. 

We stayed at Horse Thief Campground just outside of Hill City. Do not confuse it with Hose Theif Lake Campground. We liked it and would stay there again if needed but I think the best campground in the area IMO is Rafter J.

4 minutes ago, loosegoose said:

Or would you recommend just renting a camper cabin instead of pulling a camper 500 miles.  Besides the rates for some of the camper cabins look similar to getting a full hookup RV site.

What kind of a camper and truck set up do you have? I like having my own camper and my own bed, etc but it was a chore for my 1/2 ton truck to pull our 26' Travel Trailer through storms, then up the Hills and then through the 35 MPH crosswinds.

54 minutes ago, loosegoose said:

We've stayed out there many times in our RV's. I don't remember that one either. I wonder if it use to be called something else? Looking it up it does not pretty nice though. There are a ton of pretty nice campgrounds out there. I like the ones with Big pine trees around. Good luck.

I have to agree that one of the nice things about bringing your camper is having your own bed and your own space that you don't need to move in to. If the costs is comparable, that might be enough to convince me. See what each cabin provides. Some only provide a bed and sitting area. You'll still be on your own for cooking meals and tableware.