Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Finns

Towing Capacity.

17 posts in this topic

2014 Mitsubishi Outlander V6, GVWR = 5005 lbs, GAWR FR = 2535, GAWR RR =2756 lbs.

I want to pull a 16' Lund Rebel w/40 hp motor. I realize I should weigh the outfit but just wondering off hand if I should be ok pulling it.

This make sense? :blush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3500 pound towing capacity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heck yes. I towed my Rebelss with a 40 HP behind my 5w spd 3.0  Ranger with no probs. Ballpark estimate: Figure your 40 HP at 210-250 lbs, and the Lund Rebel with console at about 825 lbs. Even with trolling motor, 2 batts, trailer and gear, you'll be below 1700 lbs.

Finns likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RebelSS said:

Heck yes. I towed my Rebelss with a 40 HP behind my 5w spd 3.0  Ranger with no probs.

Front wheel drive Vs. Rear wheel drive. Towing is a lot easier on a rear wheel drive vehicle. The actual weight is should be well below the max towing capacity and the vehicle should be able to handle it.

Finns likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All Wheel Drive turned on help????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jeremy airjer W said:

Front wheel drive Vs. Rear wheel drive. Towing is a lot easier on a rear wheel drive vehicle. The actual weight is should be well below the max towing capacity and the vehicle should be able to handle it.

O ya....us old school farts are still rear wheel drive dialed in. :grin: Cripes, is everything front wheel drive nowadays?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just about. Even the old unreliable ford explorer is now front wheel drive with unibody construction.

 

16 hours ago, Finns said:

All Wheel Drive turned on help????

The AWD light came on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't hooked boat up to new car (to us). Just wondering if it should be in AWD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2016 at 2:37 PM, Jeremy airjer W said:

Just about. Even the old unreliable ford explorer is now front wheel drive with unibody construction.

 

 

Exploders are front wheel drive now???!??!! What's the world coming to?! :tired:

Jeremy airjer W likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2016 at 7:47 PM, Finns said:

Haven't hooked boat up to new car (to us). Just wondering if it should be in AWD?

I dont think you have a choice. AWD implies that all four wheels are turning all the time with no option to turn off the AWD system. The owners manual should give some instructions on what to do when towing.

Here is an interesting tid bit....

3.0 liter models towing capacity
With trailer brake 3,500 lbs.
(1,588 kg)
Without trailer brake 1,400 lbs.
(635 kg)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting about the brake. I used to have a Ranger 4wd, and was pulling our boat, a 18' alum boat/150 hp, with no trler brakes. It would pull it "fine" but not great, but thought it would work. Until I came to a stop sign on slightly downhill slope... pushed me right through it! I about sh!t my pants! I was even going fast.

Sold that truck and got a half ton after that. No probs since. :) Now any trailer over 3000# capacity I think is required to have brakes, back when we got ours it was not. I now know why brakes are required ;) I also know why I dont get small trucks anymore! ha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some CVT trannies aren't up to the task of towing, if yours is equipped with one. Looks like only the GT came with a geared trans?  An auxiliary cooler might be in order either way.

Check the manual for capacities..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2016 at 8:45 AM, 1968 said:

Some CVT trannies aren't up to the task of towing, if yours is equipped with one. Looks like only the GT came with a geared trans?  An auxiliary cooler might be in order either way.

Check the manual for capacities..

 

Im pretty sure the v-6 option does not have a CVT. Cant think of any CVT's pared with anything but 4 cylinders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nissan much?  

I did say if equipped with a cvt. That must be known for sure before any substantial towing takes place. I can always tell if it has a cvt from just driving it. Does it shift as nice as my 1971 Scorpion Stinger did???

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2016 at 2:37 PM, Jeremy airjer W said:

Just about. Even the old unreliable ford explorer is now front wheel drive with unibody construction.

 

The AWD light came on?

Haven't been able to weigh or pull the boat/trailer yet.  Wife won't let me have her car. Too busy. She's out of town on her on vacation!

I thought it had a button to shift the wheel drive between front/rear/awd.  Sorry but not sure.   :blush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Finns said:

Haven't been able to weigh or pull the boat/trailer yet.  Wife won't let me have her car. Too busy. She's out of town on her on vacation!

I thought it had a button to shift the wheel drive between front/rear/awd.  Sorry but not sure.   :blush:

I do believe you are correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update.  :blush:

 

Found out we're going to Veterans on the Lake.  Fall Lake outside of Ely.  Boat comes with the cabin. We'll rent a motor from them so no need to pull my boat up there.

 

Thanks for all the input.

 

July 16 through 29.  Samz and other places for beer.  I'm buying. ;)

Edited by Finns
correct the dates
Jeremy airjer W likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now