• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What did you do to your Camper/RV this week?

Big Dave2

Went to Ely yesterday to winterize ours and replace the vent domes. 

53029183819__1B141338-301B-445F-BF1C-0C93FEF51234.thumb.JPG.19924d8e465ced970169bc03f7b7e8f8.JPG

I looked closer at the caulking in various areas and wasn't comfortable with what I was seeing, plus it really needed a pressure washing.  I'm pretty sure the water heater is on the fritz too. 

Hooked it to the truck and hauled it home for service.  A 40 foot box in yesterday's wind and rain for 4 hours was interesting but I'm glad I can get everything taken care of that I've been wanting to change and just bring it back up in the spring, ready for fun.

In my сamper again the problem with the heating of the water. I began to think about installing a portable water heater. Here's a good overview of these water heater  https://www.newtanklesswaterheaters.com/all-you-need-to-know-about-tankless-water-heaters/. Did you install it in your сamper? What do you advise?

Edited by Stanley Layman

44 minutes ago, Stanley Layman said:

In my сamper again the problem with the heating of the water. I began to think about installing a portable water heater. Here's a good overview of these water heater  https://www.newtanklesswaterheaters.com/all-you-need-to-know-about-tankless-water-heaters/. Did you install it in your сamper? What do you advise?

Stan!  Links in a first post lately haven't been a promising sign, but I'll comment like you are a real person.  I think they have their place however I stay hooked up pretty much all the time and use mine in colder water.  Looks like your electric heaters for sale their don't operate well with water temps under 67 which I see throughout a good chunk of the year.  Thoughts, concerns or second post?

21 hours ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

Stan!  Links in a first post lately haven't been a promising sign, but I'll comment like you are a real person.  I think they have their place however I stay hooked up pretty much all the time and use mine in colder water.  Looks like your electric heaters for sale their don't operate well with water temps under 67 which I see throughout a good chunk of the year.  Thoughts, concerns or second post?

I need to solve the problem of hot water. And I expected that this could be a portable water heater. Which water heater would you recommend to buy?

57 minutes ago, Stanley Layman said:

I need to solve the problem of hot water. And I expected that this could be a portable water heater. Which water heater would you recommend to buy?

What is in your camper now and why wouldn't you just replace it with the same thing? Have you checked the price on both units for replacement? Which one is more affordable. Pros and Cons of using each?  Let us know.  Thanks Piya.  Oh by the way. Why is you name Stanley above and Piya below? 

Edited by leech~~

If Stanley’s question is pointed at me:  I can’t tell ya anything yet.  I haven’t dug into mine any further.  It is the factory installed unit and would like to just replace what is broken but I find sometimes getting parts for DIY RV fixes can be obnoxiously tough.  I’ve done my electrical troubleshooting to the point of knowing it’s broken.

I did learn something new about our 2016 wheelhouse the night before deer opener though:  There is a safety that won’t allow the heater to run while the trailer lights are hooked to the truck.  

Took me a while to figure that out.  I read the manuals and didn’t see why it wouldn’t go into the ignition cycle so I called the dealer and got a little infuriated when the only comment I got was “Too tough to troubleshoot over the phone. Bring it in”.  Really?

So I tore it out!  I found there was a rocker switch on the module and a wire that stated in order to perform a POT test, the coach needed to be disconnected.  So I disconnected the trailer lights, cycled the switch and the next try it worked just fine.

Put everything back together and it hasn’t missed a beat.  I found my 15 amp trailer light fuse in the truck popped too.

Seems like that was something that could’ve easily been mentioned over the phone.  

Edited by Wanderer

Well I guess I could close the loop on my water heater since I finally had time to look at it.  

I haven’t pulled the element yet but have filled the water and run through everything with my meter.  I’m 99% sure it’s the element.  I have 120V to it and it Ohms out at 2.  I figure that’s the water giving me that reading since the elements should Ohm out at 10 or more.  Basic rule I learned in shop: Power to the load; load don’t work; load is broken.  Looks like a $15 part.

What I did enjoy learning is getting the propane part of the heater operational.  Never had that before since the wire harness was apparently always disconnected from the ignition module.  I plugged that in and she fired right up.

Now to get my sealants put on tomorrow and clean and lube the bumpout gaskets.  I bought some LED light bulbs to try also.  And time to get a bigger TV installed in the main living area.  That 13 inches just doesn’t cut it with my eyes anymore!

Well I had a little project that we found after buying our camper used. It had a leak in the back corner which 3 other same type campers in our camp ground had in the same spot. I sealed the roof a few years ago but have not had time to tackle the soft floor in that corner. Spent one weekend ripping out to find out what I had and a 3 day weekend repairing it.

Had to build boxes as new supports to tie into the good wood past the rotted area. Really glad there were two metal frame supports under that end as I could span them with the new wood. Re-insulated and put new plywood down and it's looks great. Now my wife doesn't have to worry about getting into her side of the bed without going through the floor! :lol:

7 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

did-you-just-call-me-fat.png

No, shes not but on a paper thin rotted floor your kitty would fall through. I can see why she worried.  I didn't because it wasn't on my side!! :lol:

Edited by leech~~

Parked my camper up north this weekend for the rest of the season. I like the idea of being able to go anytime we want without having to make a reservation or pull the camper and set it up. Now I just have to unlock the door and turn on the water and we are camping!

This also allows us to pull up 4-wheelers, a boat or other toys to play with while we are there.

5 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Parked my camper up north this weekend for the rest of the season. I like the idea of being able to go anytime we want without having to make a reservation or pull the camper and set it up. Now I just have to unlock the door and turn on the water and we are camping!

This also allows us to pull up 4-wheelers, a boat or other toys to play with while we are there.

Where abouts? It is kind of nice to be able to leave the frig on and unlock the door and use. 

Edited by leech~~

17 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Outing area.

Do I sense a GTG about to happen? ?  Good for you, Dave.

Keeping with the thread theme, I’m taking our wheelhouse into the dealer tomorrow to have the axles checked under warranty. While getting it ready for last weekend we noticed how bad the tires were worn for only having it a year.  One was pretty bald on the outside only and the side walls where cracking.  Looks like a classic case of bent axle but has to be checked to know for sure.  Pressure was fine.

I bought new 10 ply load range E tires for replacements.  Didn’t want to run the stock ones loaded with the wheeler for the weekend.  The stock tires being 8 ply load range D and really not up to the task of being on that trailer in the first place.  Lesson learned to not assume what you might think is obvious!

The dealer has the old tires for proof but I’m not holding my breath on any outcome one way or the other.  Best case scenario: no bent axle with some reimbursement for crappy tires.

9 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Outing area.

9 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Do I sense a GTG about to happen? ? 

Anyone who is in the area is more than welcome to stop in. We won't be up there every weekend but we hope to be there "most" weekends. Leech, I know you frequent the area, how about it?

I'm still waiting for @Duffman's Sillytown GTG.........?