• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sweet Tea Chicken

I don't normally do the "copy and paste " thing of a recipe until I've tried it and cooked it myself, but this one looks good. I drink gallons of Gold Peak tea, so I always have 3 jugs on hand. Going to try this maybe on the weeknd with some chicken thighs I have thawing right now. I'll be substituting lime juice for the lemon, as I don't like lemon anything. I'l report back with all the particulars and pics. ;)

http://whatsgabycooking.com/sweet-tea-bbq-chicken/

I just had to copy and paste the recipe:

INGREDIENTS

• 12 bone-in/skin on chicken drumsticks
  • 2-18.5 ounce bottles Gold Peak Sweet Tea
  • 1 shallot, roughly chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra as needed
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus extra as needed
  • 2 lemons, halved
  • Freshly cracked black pepper
  •  

INSTRUCTIONS

1. In a large zip top bag, combine the chicken, Gold Peak Sweet Tea, shallot, garlic, olive oil and salt. Squeeze the halved lemons into the marinade and then add the lemons themselves. Carefully zip the top closed and place into a baking dish. Transfer the baking dish into the refrigerator and marinate for 12-24 hours.
  2. Once marinated, carefully remove the chicken from the bag and discard the marinade.
  3. Drizzle the marinated chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
  4. Brush an outdoor grill with olive oil to coat the grate. Turn the grill on to medium high heat, about 425 degrees F. Using a pair of tongs, place the chicken onto the grill and cook, turning as needed to cook both sides, until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees F.
  5. Remove the chicken from the grill and transfer to a serving platter. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with extra lemon wedges as needed.

Put my chicky in when I got up, with the tea and scallions. left the lime juice out....first time I want to see how much tea flavor remains after cooking. Instead of the garlic, I added some crushed Rosemary.  I'll jazz it up a bit next time if needed. :grin:

Good, but nothing special. They were really moist, though. No sweet or tea-like flavor; just the hint of Rosemary and onion I had put in there.They soaked in it for 30 hrs.  I'd say tea isn't acidic enough to do much. I'll use something else next time.