Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

mabr

03 450 es problem wont stay running

8 posts in this topic

Have a 2003 450 ES foreman that wont stay running once it gets warm. I started it and was loading up stuff to load into the little trailer i use around the house and it stalled. Didn't think much of it, I got done loading the trailer and jumped on to start again and it started but the minute id hit the gas it would stall. Did this to where it wouldn't even start. I let it sit for a couple hours and it started right up like normal. I take it for a spin to see if it was a fluke and it stalls after about a 1/4 mile and does the same thing as before. Pulling choke wont help it just wont stay running when warm. 

Any ideas where to start? Would dirty carbs allow it to start cold and stall once warm? It fires but wont stay running.

certainly sounds fuel related in the carb or a vapor lock or could be as simple as a new spark plug....Check the gas tank vent tube and at the same time, check the fuel filter. Probably just fuel starved. If the tank does'nt have a good vent, it will run as you describe, then die. you could also try to ride it with the gas cap off to check if the problem goes away

otherwise a good check of the carb may be in order. could be a stuck float. sounds like the motor will run on what ever gas is in the bowl and then dies

43 minutes ago, mabr said:

Have a 2003 450 ES foreman that wont stay running once it gets warm. I started it and was loading up stuff to load into the little trailer i use around the house and it stalled. Didn't think much of it, I got done loading the trailer and jumped on to start again and it started but the minute id hit the gas it would stall. Did this to where it wouldn't even start. I let it sit for a couple hours and it started right up like normal. I take it for a spin to see if it was a fluke and it stalls after about a 1/4 mile and does the same thing as before. Pulling choke wont help it just wont stay running when warm.

Any ideas where to start? Would dirty carbs allow it to start cold and stall once warm? It fires but wont stay running.

Wonder if may be the choke cable or flipper is broke inside the carb and it stuck on? Or your float is stuck?

I would start by turning off the fuel shut off then disconnecting the fuel line at the carb. 

Use a suitable container to catch the fuel and turn the valve back on to measure the fuel flow.

The fuel should flow out in a steady stream. If it dribbles out slowly or slows down after a short while the shut off could have debris in it. If it runs out nicely I would then move to the carburetor to check for sticking float, needle valve or dirt in the needle seat.

Edited by Macgyver55
leech~~ likes this

Thanks folks, gonna be a weekend project for me. Never thought about the float bowl but that makes sense it running for the amount of time it runs. 

Hey BoxMN, It was the fuel valve. It's not getting enough in the on position. Turn it too reserve and it runs fine.  Im waiting until its about out of gas to tear into it. 

There's no risk of hurting anything running with it in reserve is there?  

leech~~ and BoxMN like this

I wouldnt think so. Glad it is simple :)