• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is it to early for a countdown clock???

Well here is my opening day of September goose experience:

We were going to hunt LOW this morning After trouble shooting a motor issue for the last two days, problem solved, let's hunt. The Ducktoon was ready for her maiden voyage...image.jpeg

6:27am: first shots ring out. Field hunters to the south and east of us...go get em boys!!! We were sipping coffee and enjoying the last bits of breakfast.

We would be hunting the birds as they returned to water. There were 3-large flocks returning to this spot mid morning. Same as the last couple days. Very consistent with the way they do when the wind was blowing hard from the south like it is now. 

Fast forward an hour boat in the water, everything running, water decoys and all hunting gear loaded in. Head out of the marina area and into the neck of the bay, no reason to hurry so we just puttered our way there like we had no place to go.... 3/4 of the way there, the motor sputtered.... Then kicked hard.... Hesitated.... And then ran fine.... For a couple minutes.... Then another kick and that was it.... Dead in the water.... And adrift in the wind... Ok, don't panic... Toss the anchor out and stop the drift... No dice, the anchor won't bite, add in the current and the 20-25mph wind and we are in big trouble. 

Attempts to wave down outgoing or incoming fishing boats were in vain, they were going either side of us as we drifted, still trying to get the motor back up and running, swap fuel tanks and try again, still no luck.... Don't let the kid see you get rattled, she's only 12, the way you react now will stick with her forever... Our only hope was to hit the sandbar, if we miss it we will be blown out into the main lake. Bingo!!! Something went right today. Hit the sandbar and got it stopped. image.jpeg

Secured the boat to the shore and pulled the kayak from inside the boat. Explained to her that I was going for help and not to leave the boat, if anyone stopped to offer help explain what our problems were and that we were stranded. 

Headed back for the nearest marina... First and second boat wave as they go bye, third ones a charm put the kayak in the boat lane so they have to move around me instead of the other way around, finally they acknowledge the waves and come to within shouting distance, I explain the situation and they agree to give us a tow off the sandbar and into the marina. As I am working my way back to the goose and the boat... All three flocks return from feeding and settle right in like we scouted them :whistle:  so we got that part right. If only we were in a position to take advantage of the scouting 

in the end I look at it this way, I had my epic meltdown where my kid couldn't see or hear me. Nice long walk back to the truck gave me plenty of time to get that part out of my system. I am very thankful to the gentleman who gave up an hour of their morning trip to get us back to a place where we could get the boat out of the water and headed home for repairs.image.jpeg

And the remainder of the day gave me time to get the grass off the ducktoon so she could make her trip back home a month ahead of schedule, and get the Attack Yak and the Attack Yak II dressed up for the coming skinny water duck seasons. So the day wasn't a total loss

37degrees in Baudette this morning....

39degrees in Squaw Lake....

37degrees in Ely...

40degrees in Big Stone....

41degrees at my house...

This is the first big step in bunching birds. Especially those early exit Bluewings and a handfull of the northern Woodducks might take a step too....

Here we go!!!!

Only a week and a half out...

I've had the countdown reminder on my phone since season close last year.  The high water has me a little nervous in regards to the rice, the high water seems to send them elsewhere.  Last two years portaged into the BWCA for opener, last year was slow, year before was unreal.  Will be backpacking into some public land in northern MN the night before dragging a canoe and camping.  Lots of work but keeps the crowd numbers non existent.  Good luck to everyone

Kettle 

Praying for no rain here cause the rivers are where I hunt the first few weeks and with strong current they will wash my dog to elk river. 

Youth day got me super pumped as I seen plenty of ducks. Teal were buzzing the pond, woodies were dropping in, merks were cooking around, and mallards were circling high above. 

Nice paint job Matt!!! I definately approve!!!

I'm putting the final touches on the ducktoon. The hope is to get a decent shake down cruise this weekend and get the new scrubbed off. Maybe even get a little blood on the carpet. :P see if this motor and controls works better than the last one. Fingers crossed. 

IMG_3971.JPGIMG_3972.JPG

it's a bit of a lumbering beast, but when you have a kid or two along it helps to be comfortable. 

1 hour ago, Neighbor_guy said:

Nice paint job Matt!!! I definately approve!!!

I'm putting the final touches on the ducktoon. The hope is to get a decent shake down cruise this weekend and get the new scrubbed off. Maybe even get a little blood on the carpet. :P see if this motor and controls works better than the last one. Fingers crossed. 

IMG_3971.JPGIMG_3972.JPG

it's a bit of a lumbering beast, but when you have a kid or two along it helps to be comfortable. 

I Love the Ducktoon!  This would be great for handicap hunters as well. With that much room I would sleep over night in my spot! :lol: