• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is it to early for a countdown clock???

Is it??? I don't think it is. 

Currently we are at 4-months until the "tentative" opening day of waterfowl season. That means only 3-months until early goose opens up. 

I'm already tired of summer and we aren't even to Memorial Day yet. Bring on fall. 

1 hour ago, Neighbor_guy said:

Is it??? I don't think it is. 

Currently we are at 4-months until the "tentative" opening day of waterfowl season. That means only 3-months until early goose opens up. 

I'm already tired of summer and we aren't even to Memorial Day yet. Bring on fall. 

I agree completely 

We are well within the 30 day window on September geese. Time to get the lay out blinds out of mothballs and put a new layer of mud and dirt on them. Put a hose to the full bodies and get them washed up and ready to go. Maybe add a dozen..... You know you should replace the one that you dog chewed up, and don't forget the one you kid blasted with shot. 

Shells too... Gotta get your shells ordered up or purchased. So you have something to throw at them too. 

Just booked the cabin on Devils Lake for Nov 12-16. Going after those late migrating red legs!! We usually go to a different part of the state but figured we'd give ol' DL a try this year. I'm taking a good buddy of mine and his dad. He's the guy who introduced me to hunting on the Texas coast, so I definitely owe him a good hunt. Should be interesting to see those two south Texas boys handle some typical mid-November North Dakota cold temps hahaha

Oh I will. I always frequent this forum more once the leaves start dropping up north. Y'all are a hoot to follow. I really hope I can put these guys on birds. I'm already stressing out about it. I don't know about yall, but when it comes to hunting trips, my stress comes from wanting the guys I'm bringing to shoot birds. I've killed enough & am happy if I get to bird watch and maybe kill a handful. He's been watching all these YouTube videos of guys stacking mallards, honkers and snows in NoDak fields and I think he's setting his expectations pretty high. He just asked me if 3 flats of shells is gonna be enough...for a 3.5 day hunt. I've been trying to knock him down to more realistic numbers, but we'll see haha 

September Goose season is only 10days away. 

Let the scouting begin!!!

I am seeing a lot of birds in the spent small grain fields. Especially the ones that are beginning to weed up a little. A little in cut alfalfa as well, but most activity seems to be where the spilled small grains are starting to sprout or rot/ferment. 

The ducks are flying like crazy on my way to work!! The ducks seem to hitting the wild rice ponds. 

Geese are hitting the fields!!

Those monster morning doves or some call them cranes are every where!! 

I have scouted for real morning doves as I thought it would be great to get Finn out and make some retreives. I found some doves but no big numbers.

Finally had a chance to get MJ, Mollie, goose, and myself out at the same time for some prep today. So we donned the waders and decided today was the day to finish the blind build on the pond.

Here it is framed up...

image.jpeg

And brushed in...image.jpegimage.jpeg

We will wait for the brush to settle and begin to turn colors before trimming the shooting holes. But for now it has turned out very well. 

image.jpeg

everyone also got a chance to get the barrels warmed up. It was a very good day. 

The countdown clock is in its last click before the first boom of the year. September goose is less than 24hrs away. We are trying to do some scouting up here on the BIG water, but the wind is being a factor. This will be a first for me trying for geese over water. But it's worth a shot. 

Monday should see us in a cut hay field somewhere, but that's a story for another day. 

Until then the countdown looks like this:

September Goose: <1 day away. 

Youth waterfowl: 8 days

Regular waterfowl: 22 days