• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bear lottery in ! I'm out

I was successful in getting the point I applied for.  That's 3 preference points for me, but no plans on bear hunting in the near future.  When I finally decide to give it a shot, drawing a tag shouldn't be a problem.

2 minutes ago, certified jumbo said:

I was not drawn.  Area 51.  But I had a tag last year.

The DNR is still really holding back on bear permits.  Wonder when we will see bigger increases in tags?

when a bear kills someone/something?  

I didn't get drawn for 51 either, and I had a preference point (should have had 2, but forgot to apply for one last year)

ok Mr boar meister, got a question for you to elaborate on. just for sheets and giggles whats your opinion on the difference between hunting a no quota verses a lottery area??? and by that I mean hunting success, hunter density, is there a bigger bear population depending on area???????

and yea I know the one difference is no quota you don't need to apply for a permit.............. doofus!!!!!!!!;):D I have never hunted no quota!!!!

good Q. well theres no doubt that the bear density is higher in the lottery zones, primarily because more tradtional bear habitat in those zones. with such a high population density we have to manage by lottery, just cant send everyone out who buys a tag to go and hunt bear. the resource has to be managed. of course Higher population density, highe hunter density, but it dosent always equate to equal hunter success. but the odds would be higher with that I suppose. years ago in no quota, which has a lower population density due to less preferred habitat I feel., before I hunted bear. but as a kid, 35-40 years ago there were little or no bear over in my neck of the woods, if someone saw one it was more than likelyjust passing thru. but since then an especialy since the introduction of CRP management, the food chain erupted. bear found crop food, the CRP was creating  natural food and low an behold a habitate that can sustain a population, our creeks and river bottoms. but this Ag country, so I feel they were seen as a nusience and farmers hate them. ok so heres two tags for bear, take them out. but they have gotten a foot hold an aint going any where, now they took it down to one tag.CRP has created a sustainable resource in untraditional areas. so now its has to be managed and the first step was to drop the over the counter tags to one. I belive it wont belong before we see some lottery areas pop up over here. When I first started bear hunting Id have 1 maybe 2 bear on my one page,for probably the first 10 years, I still just have the one page in my river bottom, but now I'm getting anywhere from 3-5 bear. the density is increasing. In my mind, all from CRP. Ive heard the Roseau are has or might be going to Lottery area. don't quote me on that. but there on the cusp of lottery zones . the main difference between the two areas of no quota and qouta is that they are managing a higher population density and allowing a certain quota to be taken to allow the species to sustain its population of a renewable resource.

Ive got no clue on population density per lottery zone, but each zone is obviously allowed so many tags per area to take X amount of bear out and still sustain the population in that area. why there is such a difference say from 250 tags in 1 zone and 150 in a zone right next to it. no clue, some zones are very large and some are smaller,  it obvious a smaller zone will hold less bear but they are so nomadic and have a huge home range and don't stay in the lines of the zone  Hunter success is certainly up to the bear in my mind.LOL  what do you think Smurff throw you two cents in here. I'm no Biologist these are just my thoughts from being active in the sport, I aint no professional hunter or guide. I'm very successful at it and love this sport for all its worth. If anyone else has anything to share please do. I love learning and being corrected about bear hunting. Just like I found out that there closer to Canine that swine, best eatin dog ever!! hats all I got for ya buddy what do think. question back at ya!!

The population of bears around Princeton is on the rise. Most farmers will allow someone to hunt bears. My dads neighbor begged me to kill the bear that is now coming onto his deck in search of food. This neighbor created this issue by feeding the bear for few years now it is not a little cute bear but a big boar.