• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weed Lines

busse3775

You hear guides and pros always talking about fishing next to weed lines ALL THE TIME. The one thing they don't discuss or explain is how they go about finding these weed lines. The guides and pros have a lot more time to scout to find these, but how does a weekend fisherman go about finding them. What is your guys opinion or advice on fishing weed lines?

I fish a little 12 foot and can dump a little water in the bottom and use my flasher from ice fishing right on the hull.  Not the best picture but I can usually find where there are lines and drops decent enough.  Our lake is also ridiculously clear so that helps just seeing them sometimes also.

A weed line is just the edge of the weeds that you can see as they peter out where the water gets too deep, in general.  You can see them, or see them on your depth finder if you have one, or feel them with your lure.    

You can find a weed bed by trolling a lure like a shad rap or other diver. 

Was on a local lake last night. Was very easy to see the weeds on the depth finder and when the wind died down it was easy to actually see them in 14' of  water. this lake is pretty clear. They are getting pretty tall.

do you guys use your finder to find/mark weed lines? generally speaking, is a finder worthless when fishing the inside edge? a picture of sonar or Side imaging of a weedbed or weedline would be cool to see

Ya I'll drive until I  find weeds then go in a little to make sure there's a lot of weeds and go back out and try and follow the edge of it...I fished a lake 2 years ago for the first time, could not find the walleyes for the life of me.Then I found a patch of weeds that were probably 50×50yds and it was fish on...Early and late casting jigs on the edges of the weeds and mid day throwing a slip bobbers right in them...

In our neck of the woods, a lot of the lakes are very clear and the weeds can be seen, sometimes even the weeds that are in 12 - 15 feet of water with the tops being 5 or six feet from surface. On the less clear waters, during the summer months, the weeds that are in 4 - 10 feet of water will often show themselves on the surface as well. For those deeper weeds, or those that simply aren't making it to the surface, I use a lake map and a jig to find the weeds. I do not use electronics of any kind so lake maps are crucial to me, and though they don't pin point weed beds, if the map is a good one, and describes what the bottom consists of in certain areas, then it helps to narrow it down quite a bit. Then once I have found the weeds it's a matter of narrowing down the key spots in, and around, each weed bed and weed line. In this video I fish for crappies and gills on a weed line in Northern Michigan. This particular weed line is very visible so it's easy to find. On this lake, the weeds got so bad that they just weed killed several areas of the lake.