• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Removing fuse holder from positive line of trolling motor

I am a newbie and I am trying to understand fuses and fuse holders better for my trolling motor.  It currently has as fuse holder with a fuse inside on the positive red trolling motor line. I want to use a Minn Kota Power Center Box instead of using the fuse as I want to connect both front and back trolling motors to the box directly for 60 amps protection.

Can I simply just cut the red trolling motor battery line and separate the fuse holder from it, then tie and connect  the red line up again, and put electrical tape around it?  Will this work? Is this how  you would remove the fuse holder from the positive line?

Next, I want to hook trolling motor up to the Minn Kota Power Center Box after the fuse holder has been eliminated.    I believe there is only one fuse holder on the positive line.

Why would you not want each motor fused? IMO, keep them both fused...they're for the protection of the motors. Never just "tape" an electrical connection, especially in a wet environment. Proper soldering along with proper connections and shrink-fit tubing is the only form of connection you should use in that type of environment.

34 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Why would you not want each motor fused? IMO, keep them both fused...they're for the protection of the motors. Never just "tape" an electrical connection, especially in a wet environment. Proper soldering along with proper connections and shrink-fit tubing is the only form of connection you should use in that type of environment.

Actually, you're partially correct. The fuse's primary purpose is not to protect the motor but to protect the wiring up to the motor. The motor's protection is a secondary concern. With that said, make certain the wires you have from the fuse to the motor are properly sized for the current carrying capacity afforded by the fuse otherwise your wire becomes the fuse and that's not a good thing. 

I want my trolling motor and battery  to be protected, but the Minn Kota Power Center box has built in fuses already to protect up to 60 amp.   I want to hook the trolling motor directly to the Power Center Box instead of having a fuse holder with a fuse on the positive line and connecting to the battery. 

buy the appropriate size crimp type wire splice with heat shrink.   If you want to go whole hog buy the ones with the sealant inside. 

Soldering also works but you will still need to cover the splice with sealant and heat shrink tubing.  There are those also who contend that soldering is less reliable in high vibration environment.  Others disagree, and on a boat it probably doesn't make much difference.  Protecting against water and corrosion is most important.