• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How often do you change fishing line?

Herky2002

Thoughts on this, guys?  Do you replace line every year, every couple of seasons or is that not necessary.  When I used mono I  changed it every year, but not sure whether that's needed with new types of lines, or maybe it varies depending on the kind of line?  Curious as to others' thoughts. 

I change mono when it gets coiled up, about twice a year. Fluoro when it gets nicked, rough, or coiled, about once a year. Braid is my favorite of the three - I can stretch some line out for two years. Usually only replace it when I run low on it.

1 hour ago, paceman said:

Not very often. I'm sure I have some line that is over 5 years old. I only replace when the spool gets low or I feel the line is week. I mostly use Gama or Trilene XL 6 pound test.

Same here...but I'm a vanish guy.

When/if I lose a fish and feel that the line should have supported a fish of that size. I use Trilene XL on all of my regular rods and then a braid on my bass rod. It can rip through any weed or even trees at 12lbs, and I haven't changed it since I bought the line 5+ years ago.

Edited by SkunkedAgain

All my mono rods get re-spooled every spring, than it's as-needed for the rest of the year.  2 or 3 of them will always get re-spooled twice or more.

I can always get at least 2 years off braid... maybe even 3 or 4 years when you reverse it.  When you think it's time to replace the line, just reverse it.  transfer the line to another reel, than to another reel, than back on the original reel.  Now the line that was on the inside of the spool is the line you will be using and the line that was on the outer part of the reel is now on the inner part of the spool and will never see the light of day. 

Totally depends on how often you fish, where you fish, etc. When I fished the river a lot more than I do now I re-spooled 3-4 times a summer. Now I re-spool at least one time in the spring, and often again for fall fishing.

Edited by pikestabber

I use Fireline 80% of the time and have noticed that after about a year or so that the strands in the braid start almost loosening up. Any one else notice this? It hasn't effected the strength in the line that I've noticed but I notice it when I am retying.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 9:50 PM, delcecchi said:

Isn't fireline fused instead of braided?

yup

Ive had fireline on some reels for years

if its looking worn, just unspool and load real starting with the worn end

On May 7, 2016 at 5:40 PM, Cooperman said:

When it becomes unmanagable, I've used Trilene XL for years and nothing else. Like Del mentioned, strip off a few feet, and when you don't feel comfortable with the length of line you have on your reel, re-spool.

Same here 

Sunlight and maybe heat deteriorates mono.  I have had whole reels full of mono go bad from that.  Braid doesn't seem to have that problem.  I don't know about fluro. 

So when I used mono I used to change it once a year.