• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opening day techniques

jmg

Since the water temps should continue to climb before the 14th, will the old, reliable jig and minnow combo be the ticket or will spinners and crawlers shine?  I'm thinking about snell/ spinner rigs, but unsure if heavier mono or fluoro is better?  Why would fluoro be a good choice when it sinks?  I realize it's supposed to be more invisible to the fish, but is it good, if it sinks into the bottom muck at slower speeds?  Seems like a lot of companies are using it.  Any thoughts?

12 minutes ago, jmg said:

Since the water temps should continue to climb before the 14th, will the old, reliable jig and minnow combo be the ticket or will spinners and crawlers shine?  I'm thinking about snell/ spinner rigs, but unsure if heavier mono or fluoro is better?  Why would fluoro be a good choice when it sinks?  I realize it's supposed to be more invisible to the fish, but is it good, if it sinks into the bottom muck at slower speeds?  Seems like a lot of companies are using it.  Any thoughts?

If the wind is up I will be going with spinner-leech or large minnows Red tails or Rainbows.

I've got a feeling the early ice out and warm water is going to lead to a huge bust on opener.  Or at least it won't be a crushfest like it has been in past years when ice out came a week or two before opener and we were slaying them in 5 feet of water.

Edited by bobbymalone

Water in the metro is around 60=pretty normal for this time of year. Mono is almost always transparent enough. Pick flouro when you want the line to sink or you need abrasion resistance. BTW mono stretches less than flouro. 

Good luck!