Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Big Dave2

Who Would Bankrupt America First, Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump?

55 posts in this topic

Who Would Bankrupt America First, Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump?

Lessons from Puerto Rico.

John Stossel | May 4, 2016

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The Republican and Democratic presidential nominees have been chosen. Ignore the deluded supporters of Bernie Sanders and Ted Cruz. It's over. The odds at ElectionBettingOdds.com make it clear: It will be Donald vs. Hillary.

RELATED ARTICLES

MORE ARTICLES BYJohn Stossel

A closer contest would be: Who will bankrupt America first, Trump or Clinton?

Trump's a contender because he promises a trade war. That's what gave us the Great Depression. Trump claims that China is "raping" America. No, Donald, rape is force. Your proposed tariffs are also force. Trade is voluntary and good.

Big difference.

Clinton might bankrupt America first, however, because Democrats promise more regulation and handouts—free college, free pre-K, higher minimum wage, etc. Similar activist government spending just destroyed Puerto Rico.

This week, Puerto Rico defaulted on $370 million worth of bonds.

The territory's "generous" government squandered the island's resources. Decades of leftist governors hired their friends. In Puerto Rico and Greece, about one in four workers works for government, compared to 14.6 percent in the mainland U.S.

Puerto Rico's current governor points out that Puerto Ricans enjoy 30 days of paid vacation every year, 18 sick days and 14 paid holidays. That's about two months paid leave every year. No wonder businesses wither.

The government gives "free" energy to government-owned enterprises. This encouraged "investments" like the government-owned ice rink. Yes, ice skating was what bureaucrats thought the tropical island needed. Maybe they saw that movie, Cool Runnings, and thought winter sports in the tropics sounded fun.

Puerto Rico's long reliance on handouts and welfare created a culture of helplessness and entitlement. A U.S. inspector general found that some Puerto Ricans got Social Security disability payments because of their "inability to communicate in English." Really. They live on a Spanish-speaking island.

After years of decline, one Puerto Rican governor tried to do the right thing. Luis Fortuño, a free market guy who admired Ronald Reagan, froze government salaries, cut spending by 20 percent, eliminated some stupid regulations and fired 17,000 government workers. At the time, 250 policemen did nothing but approve liquor licenses.

Fortuno's policies might have helped the economy, but voters didn't like the cuts. Thousands of union protesters held demonstrations outside his house, calling him a Nazi. Fortuno was defeated in the 2012 election by a leftist, Garcia Padilla.

Padilla pledged to "create 50,000 jobs." But governments don't create real jobs. Padilla destroyed jobs by doing things like raising corporate taxes. As the island went broke, he promised to "cut down on tax evasion," "create two working groups to find ways to boost liquidity," and so on.

Give me a break.

This week, former governor Fortuño emailed me, "The territory's government increased expenses by almost 10 percent in 2013. That move commenced a downward spiral."

Now, more than a thousand Puerto Ricans leave the island every week for places with slightly less-bad politicians. But this will make life even tougher for Puerto Ricans left behind. Government having fewer suckers to tax makes it even harder to pay the bills.

Puerto Rico's debt has risen in the past 15 years from 60 percent to 100 percent of its gross domestic product. If it were a country, its fiscal situation would be about as bad as that of Greece. Like Greece, Puerto Rico is discovering that, eventually, other people get tired of bailing you out.

Boy Big Dave you are all over with the last few posts. Must not be worried about Limt coming by any more! :P

No, actually I will miss LMIT if he decides not to post anymore. I enjoy the back and forth. You just have to have thick skin is all.

How am I "all over"?

OLE77 likes this

41 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

No, actually I will miss LMIT if he decides not to post anymore. I enjoy the back and forth. You just have to have thick skin is all.

How am I "all over"?

You've hit about 3-4 Social posts right in a roll trolling along! ;)

Probably should just elect them both and see who wins....then start over. 

My view from the beginning of the campaign season was that Trump and Hillary would have made great running mates, so it probably doesn't make much difference which one gets elected.

11 hours ago, leech~~ said:

You've hit about 3-4 Social posts right in a roll trolling along! ;)

These are the types of things I always post. Sorry, I don't to post some recipe I find off the internet or ask if Marcum or Vexilar is better.

Juneau4 likes this

There is only one thing more Pathetic if Clinton was elected President and that is if Trump was...:sick:

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:14 AM, Big Dave2 said:

These are the types of things I always post. Sorry, I don't to post some recipe I find off the internet or ask if Marcum or Vexilar is better.

I don't like either one, I fish the old fashion way no electronics, just guess and put a net in.:D

On Thursday, May 05, 2016 at 8:14 AM, Big Dave2 said:

Good one Dave. Have not posted a good locator thread in about 2-3 years but at least you were paying attention! :D

Obviously you already know Vexilar is better so you have no need to ask. 

1 hour ago, roony said:

Obviously you already know Vexilar is better so you have no need to ask. 

Graph is better than spinning flashy thingy :P

9 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Graph is better than spinning flashy thingy :P

You guys are high jacking this thread! Lets get back on topic. Big Dave trolling! :D

And America cannot go bankrupt because there is an unlimited supply of dollars with which to repay creditors. 

20 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

And America cannot go bankrupt because there is an unlimited supply of dollars with which to repay creditors. 

Yeah, how can my checking account can't be overdrawn because I still have checks....

On 5/5/2016 at 8:18 PM, Big Dave2 said:

How am I "all over"?

I think he quit his job because he can't stomach trump.  So I applaud his backbone.

PurpleFloyd likes this

What a choice we the rabble have for this election cycle when the debate becomes which one of the two presidential candidates will bankrupt us faster

2 hours ago, tacklejunkie said:

What a choice we the rabble have for this election cycle when the debate becomes which one of the two presidential candidates will bankrupt us faster

There is a choice that doesn't lead to that but he is a libertarian and apparently solvency is not a concern for the majority.

2 hours ago, tacklejunkie said:

It was pretty much "we the rabble" that chose Trump to be one of the candidates. 

I'm hoping they are both in orange jumpsuits by November, Clinton for the personal email server and Trump because of his Trump University. Wouldn't that be a hoot. 

15 hours ago, tacklejunkie said:

There is a third choice. The LP candidate who runs on a balanced budget platform. Blame yourself if you vote for the other 2 and don't feign outrage when the two current choices are the best they offer you.

Who would bankrupt America first ?

How could anyone not choose "The Donald" ?

The self proclaimed "King of Debt" already has alot of experience doing it, openly blathers about paying less than full value to those who hold T-Bills, and has tax and spend proposals that would explode the yearly deficits even more than W did.

Comical that the Good Dr still talks about debt and deficits like she has credibility on the issue after defending, actively defending  mind you, BHO's last budget.

Then, in a failed attempt to try to regain some credibility on the issue, attempted to make me the issue when I stated we really don't know what a Trump presidency would actually bring. Which is true since he hasn't held any elected public office to truly judge. But I can make an educated guess based on what he has said thus far. Regardless of my hunch, it still remains a question mark?  Which can be good or bad depending on your point of view

And that is the problem. Nobody wants to hold "their" party accountable. There's an emotional need to reflexively defend against any "attacks"  from the opposition. Which is why, regardless of who is elected, we will continue to see the status quo. And that's what we have seen from the Good Doctor and that's why I am confident that all her subsequent  posts to me will be confirmation of all I've stated with plenty of "ROFLMAO's" with a few "YEEHAWS" for effect:lol:

Oh, and possibly an odd bet added in as well

3 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

There is a third choice. The LP candidate who runs on a balanced budget platform. Blame yourself if you vote for the other 2 and don't feign outrage when the two current choices are the best they offer you.

Or one can chose to stay home on election night. Or one can write in an option(my choice).

The possibilities are semi endless;).  And yes, I understand the "but if you don't vote Trump, you'll help Hillary get in" line of reasoning. But it isn't my fault that the GOP nominated not only a candidate that donated to her Senate run and her 2008 presidential bid, but praised her possibilities  to be a good VP or president as well.

But, if Trump wins, and proves us skeptics all wrong, then I will become his  biggest defender. But my hunch is those of us who have  more than a little trepidation regarding a Trump presidency will be proven right.

And that's just us conservatives predicting that. ;)

I have more respect for Sanders than Trump or Hillary. At least he's honest

Edited by tacklejunkie

I went to the Official Sites of both Trump and Clinton to find any mention of tackling our debt and balancing our budgets or anything representing fiscal sanity

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/

Trump mentions the debt being too high but no plan to tackle it

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

I can't find were Hillary mentions it at all.

So, "who will bankrupt America first?" That's easy. Which ever of the two win in November;)

Edited by tacklejunkie

5 hours ago, tacklejunkie said:

Comical that the Good Dr still talks about debt and deficits like she has credibility on the issue after defending, actively defending  mind you, BHO's last budget.

Then, in a failed attempt to try to regain some credibility on the issue, attempted to make me the issue when I stated we really don't know what a Trump presidency would actually bring. Which is true since he hasn't held any elected public office to truly judge. But I can make an educated guess based on what he has said thus far. Regardless of my hunch, it still remains a question mark?  Which can be good or bad depending on your point of view

And that is the problem. Nobody wants to hold "their" party accountable. There's an emotional need to reflexively defend against any "attacks"  from the opposition. Which is why, regardless of who is elected, we will continue to see the status quo. And that's what we have seen from the Good Doctor and that's why I am confident that all her subsequent  posts to me will be confirmation of all I've stated with plenty of "ROFLMAO's" with a few "YEEHAWS" for effect:lol:

Oh, and possibly an odd bet added in as well

Or one can chose to stay home on election night. Or one can write in an option(my choice).

The possibilities are semi endless;).  And yes, I understand the "but if you don't vote Trump, you'll help Hillary get in" line of reasoning. But it isn't my fault that the GOP nominated not only a candidate that donated to her Senate run and her 2008 presidential bid, but praised her possibilities  to be a good VP or president as well.

But, if Trump wins, and proves us skeptics all wrong, then I will become his  biggest defender. But my hunch is those of us who have  more than a little trepidation regarding a Trump presidency will be proven right.

And that's just us conservatives predicting that. ;)

I have more respect for Sanders than Trump or Hillary. At least he's honest

You could also run headfirst into a wall. Your comments were to complain about your choices yet one actual candidate has a platform that can address them yet you disregard it completely and instead of addressing any problems you have you instead go off on a wild tangent. Look in the mirror because the problem is there and not with who the parties are sending as candidates.

Big Dave2 likes this