• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best and biggest Steak in Brainerd area?

The wife said for my Birthday which was last weekend I could have a good steak dinner when we go up to the camper this weekend. So, I'm looking for the Biggest-Best- and affordable steak in the Brainerd lakes area.  Right now kind of thinking Ernie's on Gull?  :)

33 minutes ago, Jim Almquist said:

I guess I would vote for Ernie's as well. I know I love their Patty Melt so I would think their steak would be pretty good.

So far I think that's where I'll be headed. There's a lot of nice places around there but most are over priced for what you get. I'm looking for big chunks of grilled meat! :P

19 minutes ago, Todd Caswell said:

The Fort, believe they still do the grill your own if you want or they will cook it for you. I never eat steak when going out, i can buy 2 really nice cuts of meat at the butcher for the cost of one meal out.

Tried the Fort which was ok but about 30 miles south of us and Bar Harbor, my wallet got held up the last time we were in there! :eek:

Haven't eaten at Bar harbor in 15 years, maybe I'm cheap but i love to cook/grill and I know i can cook a good piece of meat as good or better than most I have eaten at so we do it at home. i do recommend the commander for there pizza, the Ceder chest for there ribs, and a little place in Ossipee, the northwoods  for there prime rib on staterday nights..

48 minutes ago, Todd Caswell said:

Haven't eaten at Bar harbor in 15 years, maybe I'm cheap but i love to cook/grill and I know i can cook a good piece of meat as good or better than most I have eaten at so we do it at home. i do recommend the commander for there pizza, the Ceder chest for there ribs, and a little place in Ossipee, the northwoods  for there prime rib on staterday nights..

Thanks Todd, have been to the Commander for pizza :) Cedar Chest for ribs :) And the NorthWoods, although I did really liked it better when it was Bobbers for only a for a year or two before they closed up. They had a great stuffed Salmon.  :(

15 hours ago, leech~~ said:

The wife said for my Birthday which was last weekend I could have a good steak dinner when we go up to the camper this weekend. So, I'm looking for the Biggest-Best- and affordable steak in the Brainerd lakes area.  Right now kind of thinking Ernie's on Gull?  :)

You should try Timber Jacks north of Nisswa on 371 before you get to Pequot Lakes.  They do their own smoking of ribs, etc. there and have great food.  I've had their steak sandwich there and that was very good.  I've had their prime rib there and that also was very good.  Ernie's is ok but mostly just for drinks and sandwiches.  I've had some lousy dinners there.  Just my opinion.  Happy BD...

16 hours ago, leech~~ said:

How did I miss that?!  HAPPY BELATED BDAY, Leech!!!!    birthday-dancer.gif

1 hour ago, pegleg said:

You should try Timber Jacks north of Nisswa on 371 before you get to Pequot Lakes.  They do their own smoking of ribs, etc. there and have great food.  I've had their steak sandwich there and that was very good.  I've had their prime rib there and that also was very good.  Ernie's is ok but mostly just for drinks and sandwiches.  I've had some lousy dinners there.  Just my opinion.  Happy BD...

pegleg, good thought. My wife and I go to the Timber Jacks a few times a summer but mainly for burgers. I guess I never checked out their steak. We did also pull a $300 pull tab their last summer which paid for dinner nicely! :D

Try their smoked bacon as an appetizer sometime - very good.  We go in there with a group of guys and buy it by the pound.  The bartender thinks we are crazy...  Very nice place and fun bartenders to talk to. I believe they have the prime rib on weekends.  That is very good also. 

I was going to mention Timber Jacks, but I'm a little biased as the owner is an old college/hunting/fishing buddy of mine. It took him an hour to tease up his hair back in the heavy metal/glam rock days before we would go hit the 'kato bars in his Iroc. *chuckle* 

So I've never had a bad meal there, and one year the drinks almost kept me from making the Jaycees Ice Tourney the next morning.

;);)

The smoked ribs are also very good, so good that the bbq sauce is served on the side.

Thanks guys narrowing down to Ernie's or Timber Jacks so far. Even if Ivan's on the Bay was open yet, I'm not sure I could hold my nose up that high or hold my pinky finger out that long for dinner! :P

2 hours ago, Duffman said:

I was going to mention Timber Jacks, but I'm a little biased as the owner is an old college/hunting/fishing buddy of mine. It took him an hour to tease up his hair back in the heavy metal/glam rock days before we would go hit the 'kato bars in his Iroc. *chuckle*

So I've never had a bad meal there, and one year the drinks almost kept me from making the Jaycees Ice Tourney the next morning.

;);)

The smoked ribs are also very good, so good that the bbq sauce is served on the side.

So, I should look for the guy with a old Metallica sleeveless shirt and Zubaz's on with not much hair left by now and tell him Duff sent me? :D

Great timing for this thread as we were just contemplating whether to hit Timber Jacks or Ernie's tomorrow for dinner. Ernie's is our favorite for lunch on the lake but Timber Jack has great dinner options and atmosphere! Easy choice!

Commander's pizza rocks too... interested to see how the new Mexican restaurant in Pequot does....

On 5/5/2016 at 0:37 PM, Duffman said:

;);)

Well ended up going to Timber Jacks and having a nice 12oz steak. The owner wasn't there but met his partner of 20 years who he runs Timber Jacks with. I told her about this guy name Duffman who may know Billy from his college days. She brought out this picture to show me. Is this your old buddy from back in the day, Duff? You may want to give him a call and straighten out the confusing guessing game we played of who you could be?  :)

IMG_2300.JPG

IMG_2302.JPG