• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best variety of roma tomatos ?

DrJill

We're going to prep a new bed this weekend and devote it exclusively to roma tomatos for canning.

We've tried a few in the past but it's not a plant we've had alot of success with.

Any thoughts from the resident green thumbs as to the best variety ?

Disease has always been the problem in the past.

For that reason, we're currently leaning towards a hybrid named "Mariana". 74 days, VFFNA

I have been planting a variety called Saucey for many years. It was bred by Jim Baggett from Univ of Oregon. It was developed to produce tomatoes in the cooler NW part of the country. So if we have a cool summer I still get all the Roma types I can use. Plus it is not a hybrid so I can save seed from year to year. It is early so I am pretty much done canning by Labor day. BUT I have never seen plants of this variety for sale. You would have to buy seed. Probably to late to start now. Maybe next year,

Any tomato you plant is susceptible to leaf disease (blight). I really like Amish Paste best for a roma type tomato. It is meaty and great tasting. I start them from seed. 

Have you tried San Marzano? They are a good size paste tomato. A little later. Should be able to find them. As roony says.....almost all will eventually succumb to blight. There area few that are  blight resistant. But as far as I know no paste tomatoes are resistant.

Thanks guys. Good info.

I think we'll try 4 each of Opalka, Amish Paste, San Marzano and Mariana Hybrid.

i'll post again on how the hybrids do in re disease resistance.