• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Loin jerk

made more today again and weighed it for fun.  started with 4 3/4 pounds. ended up with 2 after drying.  nice!  10 bucks roughly for the finished 2 pounds. I like that. 

Just now, bobberineyes said:

Only way it could is to brine it. I'm gonna try it,  great idea eyeguy.  :D

Jerky is normally brined/marinated in salty solution like soy sauce, right?  Won't keep without a high level of salt. 

i never brine jerky.  I use a spice mix.  for whole meat just look at the like up above.  time before last I threw a few pieces in the smoker for a bit then dried,  did not care for it.  with ground meat I add about 1/4 cup water to the spices and mix it all up and let sit overnight. need at least 24 hours with the layered whole meat.  not even close to bacon. ;) 

If you brine your pork loin with RH1's Pop's brine for 2 weeks, slice 1/2" thick and smoked with applewood you would have some delicious bacon flavored jerky. 

I make whole meat jerky and I normally marinate my jerky with the brewed soy sauce which has a lower salt content and no cure. I can't eat that high salt stuff. I just smoke it at a high enough temp to kill the bad stuff then keep it frozen/refrigerated. It doesn't last long enough to spoil. 

The jerky mix from a box makes my gums burn a bit for some reason.