• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hummer and Oriole watch

RainyEye

None here yet in SW MN but my jelly went out this morning. The Orioles arrived on the 5th last year so any day now I expect them. Last year it was so dry that by the time they arrived, all the flowers on my crab apple tree had already dropped. I love that tree as a back drop.

oriole pretty background.jpg

Got jelly and oriole feeder out.  Gonna put hummer feeder out tomorrow. 

Also put out some cut up string and shredded baler twine for nest purposes.   If I'm lucky they will pick one of my big maple trees. 

Edited by delcecchi

18 hours ago, Jim Almquist said:

I spotted a hummer flying by last Saturday so I put up the feeders and have not seen one since. 

I used to do that and the same thing would happen. I finally quit that practice because sugar water stays good for only so long. If the Orioles don't show up by Monday, I'll have to eat the jelly and oranges myself.

Edited by the nature boy

We get a ton of orioles in our campground up by Nisswa, MN around the end of May-June. They seem to stay for a while maybe through nesting season then their all gone. Wonder where they go late summer?  :(

Heard my first house wren of the season this a.m. It can officially be spring here now. Put the hummingbird feeder out last night as per roony's sighting but so far haven't seen one. They'll be here. :)

Now that was a red letter day! I have never seen a scarlet tanager but my son saw one at my feeder last year. 

Edited by roony

Sweet! Been a long time since I've seen a tanager and have yet to see one here. The grosbeak is very fitting for today personally. Many times when we had my Mom over for Mother's Day, the first grosbeak of the season would appear at the feeders. Always makes me think of her when they show up. :)