• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lac Seul Reports

Anyone been to Mahkwa lodge this season?  I've heard they are under new management and we have had no luck reeaching them to book a cabin.  We just get the answering machine, we leave a message and they never return our calls.  

Well I am not sure that you would want to hear the report that my father had from the 1st weekend of June but here it goes.  They struggled!!!  He has been going up there every year for 20+ years and he said this was by far the worst fishing for their group.  The size of fish was on the smaller side and he said the action was slow...hopefully you will have better success then they did but that is the report I have for ya.  Good Luck!!

7 hours ago, ozzie said:

Well I am not sure that you would want to hear the report that my father had from the 1st weekend of June but here it goes.  They struggled!!!  He has been going up there every year for 20+ years and he said this was by far the worst fishing for their group.  The size of fish was on the smaller side and he said the action was slow...hopefully you will have better success then they did but that is the report I have for ya.  Good Luck!!

Thanks for the report, we leave on the 24th hopefully things are improved by then. We've been going for 20+ years too and enjoy the trip but if the fish aren't cooperative that certainly takes some of the fun out of it.

On 5/2/2016 at 8:55 AM, Bob/Mn said:

Any Lac Seul reports?

Just got back on Monday from a week long trip. We don't actually fish the Lac Seul proper too much as we stay at the Lac Seul Resort in Hudson on Lost Lake. Been making this trip every June since 2000.

We did make a run up into grassy bay one day. We did okay but no big fish. Mostly 15" - 20" were caught.

Overall our experience this year was a slightly down year in numbers of walleyes caught compared to what we've come to expect but not too far off the mark. I'd say we were at about 90% on the count. 

Fish size was a little lower with our average walleye by my estimation being around the 20" mark. We did get one at 28" and quite a few between 21"-25" range. 

Northern pike were busy. No overly big ones this year but we did boat a couple 35" and a couple others between 30"-34" along with a number of smaller ones in the 24"-27". Not much activity from other species this year. 

The lake level was about 4' below what we've experienced on average so keeping an eye out for the rocks was a little more important. 

Lake water surface temp was hovering around the 58-62 degree range depending on the location.

Still had a great trip. Fed out about 150 dozen minnows and a pound of leeches between 9 guys over 4-1/2 days of fishing. 

On 6/16/2016 at 0:05 PM, ozzie said:

Well I am not sure that you would want to hear the report that my father had from the 1st weekend of June but here it goes

4 hours ago, BobT said:

Just got back on Monday from a week long trip. We don't actually fish the Lac Seul proper too much as we stay at the Lac Seul Resort in Hudson on Lost Lake. Been making this trip every June since 2000.

We did make a run up into grassy bay one day. We did okay but no big fish. Mostly 15" - 20" were caught.

Overall our experience this year was a slightly down year in numbers of walleyes caught compared to what we've come to expect but not too far off the mark. I'd say we were at about 90% on the count. 

Fish size was a little lower with our average walleye by my estimation being around the 20" mark. We did get one at 28" and quite a few between 21"-25" range. 

Northern pike were busy. No overly big ones this year but we did boat a couple 35" and a couple others between 30"-34" along with a number of smaller ones in the 24"-27". Not much activity from other species this year. 

The lake level was about 4' below what we've experienced on average so keeping an eye out for the rocks was a little more important. 

Lake water surface temp was hovering around the 58-62 degree range depending on the location.

Still had a great trip. Fed out about 150 dozen minnows and a pound of leeches between 9 guys over 4-1/2 days of fishing. 

.  They struggled!!!  He has been going up there every year for 20+ years and he said this was by far the worst fishing for their group.  The size of fish was on the smaller side and he said the action was slow...hopefully you will have better success then they did but that is the report I have for ya.  Good Luck!!

Thanks for the report, we leave on the 24th hopefully things are improved by then. We've been going for 20+ years too and enjoy the trip but if the fish aren't cooperative that certainly takes some of the fun out of it.

Good report, we go out of Hudson too, Lac Seul Floating Lodges, and go up to the Taylor Island area.

The lower water levels is going to make a longer run without the shortcuts.

I'll give a report when I return

I spent the 17,18,and 19 on Sen Bay. We encountered rain the three days and that slowed the fish down. The under slot fish were in 4 to 8 feet of water and the females were in 22 to 28 feet of water. Pitching jigs in the shallows provided eater for shore lunch each day.

Our best fish were a 28 1/2 and a 29 inch fish which were scattered in deeper waters. The water temps ranged from 62 to 65 degrees. Best bait was a jig and minnow combo.

We just got back today and fishing was pretty good, lots of fish over the slot 27.5 was the biggest. The fish were in 20 feet for the most part however we caught some in 8 feet as well but those were scattered. The fish in 20 feet were concentrated in small areas and the sand seemed to be the best. All of the short cuts are open from Hudson and the water is coming up.