• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hitch on a 2014 F150

The bumper is too high to work well for several trailers and so I need to get a hitch for the truck.  A friend just suggested that I buy a Curt Hitch and bolt it on myself.  Does this make sense?  I admit that I have never paid attention but thought it was more complicated than that.   How precise to I have to be in ordering it as I don't want to screw around with something that doesn't fit.  Order on line or buy at a store?

Thanks for your time.

Tom

If you've never done a hitch before, I wouldn't attempt it...unless you're familiar with doing those things. Your new Ford really has no receiver on it? Guess I've never seen that...Anyway, it's a job that takes some know-how and being really careful, with the right tools. I've run into some real doozies. Most include some through-the-frame drilling that I've seen, even though there are some pre-drilled holes to use. IMO, best to take it an to an aftermarket place and have them do it. I don't miss putting them on. Do you have the truck trailer wiring already in place?

A lot of times the holes are there and its just a bolt on deal. But a lot of aftermarket places charge very little to install it if you buy it from them and can also do the wireing if needed. Also buy a quality hitch made to fit your truck and not one of the universal adjustable ones.

7 minutes ago, Walleyehooker said:

A lot of times the holes are there and its just a bolt on deal. But a lot of aftermarket places charge very little to install it if you buy it from them and can also do the wireing if needed. Also buy a quality hitch made to fit your truck and not one of the universal adjustable ones.

Curious on this...are you talking receiver hitch? If so, can you please explain why?

Curt has the nicest finish and it will be a no drill as long as you get the model they suggest. It will take you less than a hour to do as well.

You should be able to get the hitch around $200 or $300 installed without any wiring Curt #13368

Yes, a receiver hitch.  The one that is built into the bumper is just too high.  I have to screw around jacking up the boat trailer, putting a jack stand under the tongue, blocking the trailer jack and then raising the trailer up high enough.  If I am really lucky I think bump the trailer while backing up and it rolls off the blocking and I get to start all over again.  Just a lot of screwing around.

It sounds like he was just trying to use the ball on his bumper, since he mentioned wanting to get a hitch.

I would look online for Reese or Curtis, select whichever one you like best, and then call them to get the right model for your truck. The worst that will happen is you get stuck trying to complete the install, and will have to take it somewhere and pay their regular labor rate to finish the installation.

Thanks for you advice guys.  I ordered a Reese from the local NAPA and will give it a try.  I have a drop receiver and will use it when I get the hitch put on.  The truck is already wired so all I have to do is line up the holes and get things tightened down.  I mean we all know there is no chance that the holes won't line up, right.

Edited by Tom7227

The boat gets towed 30 miles twice a year.  So yeah.  I bought the truck on-line and didn't pay attention to details.  Somewhat of a HUA event.  But I got a heckofa deal - which is all that counts right?