• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Burgerland

How many types of burgers are there anyway.  Many.  It's all about personal preference really.  I just love a good burger.  In fact the very few times I do go to one, if they have burgers on the menu that's what I order.  I feel if they make a good burger then the rest of their food will be good as well.  I love a good smashburger.  You can call it what you want but they are basicly cooked quickly and can be flattend by you just pressing down or weighed down while frying.  If I run short on time that's the way I'll do it.

But then you have folks who frown on that big time.  No way do you press down a burger.  Your releasing all the juices and all the rest.  It needs to be pink in the middle and more.  I'll go with that also when I have the time.  The beer can burger for example takes the longest to make with the prep and time grilling but sure is worth it.  I think the spices, the toppings, and don't forget the bun are all part of the whole burger experience.  I love to give grill marks on the bun, that makes a difference.  In the end it's personal preference.  If you need a quick burger fix then hit the local burger joint of your choice.  Ya that smashburger I've had at some bars, hot off the grill on a toasted bun with nothing but some gooey cheese dripping off of it bring back some memories.  Very tasty.  good luck.

I still can't figure it out.  I like a good pure meat patty.  My local bar & grill in town doesn't add anything to their beef, besides maybe just a pinch of salt - you can tell...  you can't taste any added flavors - just beef and it's amazing.  The menu says it's fresh ground chuck, so I buy it at the meat counter, hand-pat it out at home and grill it perfectly.  But compared to the burger at the bar, mine's relatively tasteless. I guess that's why they make money selling theirs and I work in a cubicle... But I'd like to see them manage an end-to-end marketing process!

TL78 I know exactly what you mean. When it comes to a Patty Melt it is always better when someone else makes it. If you ever in Duluth at lunch time or dinner go to 7 West Tap right on 7 West Superior Street. Get the Tap House burger. They have this machine that smashes the burger and cooks it perfectly. The homemade chips or fries are made from one potato. To me it is one of the best flat top burgers I have ever had.

1 hour ago, Boar said:

dont be, imdoing that, some of the best tasteing burgs are those old flat top bar grills before everything got FDA inspectd the places' and said u cant do that its unclean, im doing this, thanks for posting!!!

That what gives 'em flavor. Good old grease and baked on crispy burger pieces. Best are those little 3.2 hole in the wall beer joints on back roads up in fishing country. The ones with the jars of pickled eggs and pigs feet on the old wooden bar top.

I think a lot of the taste factor is in how it's made.  I swear if I make my burger on my cast iron pan the burger tastes better than if I fry it in a regular non stick pan for example.  Of course the cast iron is well aged and that is the factor.  As far as I know and have seen in many years of handling ground beef, nothing is added to it.  All pure ground beef unless flavored and that would have to be labeled that it was.  There are plenty of burger patties flavored around frozen and sold in service cases fresh.  I've made plenty of those in the past.  One of the guy's at work devised a neat way to make patties fast.  He took one of our cutting boards home and cut circles in it the size of a good burger.  We simply put the right amount of burger in each hole, pressed down and lifted the board up and there they were.  They are still using that.  Quicker than the single $300 burger press the Company bought.  

I've made burgers in the smoker also until they got almost done and then finished them off on the grill.  That smoke makes a difference.  But now with the tube smoker in my grill I don't have to go through the whole process and just do the same on my grill.  I think as far as burgers at the bar, those burgers are fried most of the day on the same surface except for some scraping and that makes a difference also.  How about the atmosphere surrounding you as far as flavor.  Why is it that everything seems to taste better when I'm camping.  That shore lunch taste better on that Island under a wood fire than the deep fryer you got at home.  same with a burger camping for me anyway.  good luck.

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

He's just trying to take limit's title. 

Ha! You funny guy! Just like Pesci said. He has a title? O ya, *****   ***, you right! 

11 hours ago, Boar said:

lmao! like like like like like like like like like like like.... yu ccan have.all.my likes

buddy..

Boar, you sound like a Valley Girl. Like, totally rad. Like gag me with a spoon. Oh, like wow.

wha ev! i agree with the fflat top grill bei g seasoned. like a smomer or ccast iron pan, it needs to beseasoned to enhancce fflavor. nevor happen in a pan that has non sticck cchemiccal enhancced poisonous ccoating. im vey ccarfful grilling burgs ccause off the juicces. dripping away,  i poke with a ffork and iff juicce run cclear is done, iff no juicce it over done and dry, iff bloody its underdone and wont be long.

You should be careful what you poke, Boar. :grin:  I use the Thumb" test...if it feels like the area under yer thumb when it's relaxed and you push on it, it's done. Chicken is the only thing I check with a temp gauge.