• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hauling kayak

Hey everyone! I've got a chevy traverse I've installed cross bars for hauling a cargo box. Soooo... My question is I have a 10 foot fishing kayak and looking at buying a kayak cradle (I think it's called) but there a little spendy so can I haul it up side down just laying on the bars it would only be a 15 minute drive max? Thanks!

32 minutes ago, Fishin machine said:

Hey everyone! I've got a chevy traverse I've installed cross bars for hauling a cargo box. Soooo... My question is I have a 10 foot fishing kayak and looking at buying a kayak cradle (I think it's called) but there a little spendy so can I haul it up side down just laying on the bars it would only be a 15 minute drive max? Thanks!

Strap it down good and you should be fine.

eaa814bbb71b23e6dd575a50ffa82d47.jpg

You should be fine.  A line tied down from the bow, another from the stern, and one over the top and you'll be all set.  Thats what I do with my 14 foot canoe I use to hop onto the small local lakes.  I also use pads that slid onto the gunnels but I'm not using any sort of rack system. 

3 hours ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

Strap it down good and you should be fine.

eaa814bbb71b23e6dd575a50ffa82d47.jpg

That's funny!!!!

3 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

You should be fine.  A line tied down from the bow, another from the stern, and one over the top and you'll be all set.  Thats what I do with my 14 foot canoe I use to hop onto the small local lakes.  I also use pads that slid onto the gunnels but I'm not using any sort of rack system. 

Thanks! Yeah that's what I was thinking would it be ok if I just put two straps on the top just to go to a local lake 5 minutes away?

I'm guessing you'd be fine 99% of the time with just 2 straps over the top if it were a short trip and at lower speeds.  However, its the 1% were you get a strap failure that can be a real bugger.  If nothing else I'd toss a bow line on it to keep the wind from being able to get under and lift it up.  The wind will always be trying to lift it up and without the bow line you're one strap failure away from having the kayak lift up and go flying.