• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Second smoker

boy this next batch off summer sausage is gonna be a.surprise... im gonna do somethi g that will enlighten yur spirits and make you go, thats awsome!! soooooo, i might have to get a 3rd smomer. what to buy what to buy

5 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

I started out many years ago with a little chief, then a big chief and now the masterbuilt 30 inch. So for me I havn't advanced beyond this stage. It works so nice I havn't had the bug to switch yet. 

I got one of those big chief smokers in the garage that I bought for my son many moons ago. He tried making jerky in it but it didn't turn out so pretty good. I felt it got too hot in there ( it was summertime when he was messing with it). I put a dryer thermostat on it to control the temp but then I don't know if he used it much after that. Now I am tempted to try it out myself. Do you have any tips on getting started with this very basic smoker, I'd like to catch some cold water bullheads and try smoking them.

Thanks in advance. 

28 minutes ago, Boar said:

boy this next batch off summer sausage is gonna be a.surprise... im gonna do somethi g that will enlighten yur spirits and make you go, thats awsome!! soooooo, i might have to get a 3rd smomer. what to buy what to buy

you have a hard time paying attention much less operating 3 smokers at one time!!!!!!!!!!:P:P:grin:

14 minutes ago, smurfy said:

you have a hard time paying attention much less operating 3 smokers at one time!!!!!!!!!!:P:P:grin:

*WHOOP*WHOOP*ALERT*WHOOP*WHOOP*

14 minutes ago, roony said:

I got one of those big chief smokers in the garage that I bought for my son many moons ago. He tried making jerky in it but it didn't turn out so pretty good. I felt it got too hot in there ( it was summertime when he was messing with it). I put a dryer thermostat on it to control the temp but then I don't know if he used it much after that. Now I am tempted to try it out myself. Do you have any tips on getting started with this very basic smoker, I'd like to catch some cold water bullheads and try smoking them.

Thanks in advance. 

Now there's a good idea, I love bullheads. You would have to have real low heat for that; I used to smoke carp (ya, I know, I was young, poor and hungry) and some other fish in a home-made smoker I made out of angle iron rails, aluminum sides, and old stainless 'fridge racks. Tin pan fulla smoking wood chips.Worked great, fish was great. I found brining it in if I remember right, brown sugar and....I can't remember what else I used....? Give it a whirl! Sounds like fun! 

40 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

*WHOOP*WHOOP*ALERT*WHOOP*WHOOP*

Now there's a good idea, I love bullheads. You would have to have real low heat for that; I used to smoke carp (ya, I know, I was young, poor and hungry) and some other fish in a home-made smoker I made out of angle iron rails, aluminum sides, and old stainless 'fridge racks. Tin pan fulla smoking wood chips.Worked great, fish was great. I found brining it in if I remember right, brown sugar and....I can't remember what else I used....? Give it a whirl! Sounds like fun! 

What????:confused::cry::P

I have a smoker I made out of an old fashioned frig.  I have a gas grill that hardly gets used anymore, and I have a Weber style grill.  My favorite though is my Green Mountain Grill  Daniel Boone pellet smoker.  I also use a 12" smoker tube in it.  I love it.  Fill it with hickory pellets and turn it on and set the temp.  The temp wanders some but levels out pretty good.  Then I put the smoker tube in also with hickory pellets and watch it smoke.  It has a probe for the meat too.  I usually just lay it on the grate so I can monitor the grate temp from my easy chair with the remote it comes with.  I don't have the wifi model...  I have never used another brand so cannot compare it to any other but I sure like mine.  I get pellets online with free Amazon Prime shipping to my door.

Temp ranges from 150-500 degrees.

I also got the insulated cover and use it all winter too.  

Those are the grilling temps for chops steaks chicken etc.  Do steaks at 500.  Chicken at 375.  I of course do ribs etc. at 250.

That is why I hardly use my other ones since this is so handy.  I do like to do a steak over real hot charcoal sometimes although it is just a pain to get it ready, especially if it is windy out.

I think sometimes my neighbors thinking I'm sniffing weed when I'm standing over the Masterbuilt with my nose above the vent gauging the smoke level.  Sometimes if looks like it's smoking but it's steam or the goop sizzling which smells like rendered something and that's no good.  Gotta get the smome smell just right.

3 hours ago, roony said:

Thanks in advance. 

I loved smoking fish in the chiefs and eggs but that was about it. I dont care for jrky in a smoker. Gotta do mine in a dehydrator. mine went to about 160 I think. It should work great on bullheads, I have never done that.

I didn't like the chief for chicken or pork cuz could not get it hot enough.