• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Speedometer issue

I had an issue with a battery drain on this truck a while back and traced it down to the instrument cluster. Battery drain

2005 F250 SuperDuty, 6.0 Diesel. 164,000 miles. 

Put in the rebuilt cluster and worked fine for about a tank of fuel, this truck is used mostly for towing our RV or if I need to put something in the bed it isn't a daily driver so it I don't use it much.  But anyways.  Now I am seeing an issue with the speedo not going back down to zero when stopped or even really going back down all the time when I slow down.  When I first noticed it, it read 65 at about 30 mph.  Pulled over turned it off and let it sit for about 10 minutes and started it back up.  Stilll didn't got back down.  I got it out on the hwy and after getting up to about 60 or so the speedo was reading well over 100.

Back at home I did some googling and found that pulling both negatives on the batteries, hitting the light switch and letting it sit for 10 minutes would reset the modules and put everything to zero again.  It did reset it,  but it started the process of not going all the way back down again.  I have seen various posts about it being either the Vehicle Speed Sensor or a module in the Instrument Cluster.  Is there a way I can rule either out without swapping parts?  

Did contact them and they recommended pulling the cluster, removing the bezel/cover, resetting the needle and pulling up on the needle.  They send the cluster without the bezel and you take yours off and put it on the one they sent and it seems the dang things is sensitive to the needled being touched as it pushes it down on the shaft and sticks.  Go figure.  

On the bright point I can take that cluster out and put it all back together now in about 20 minutes.:grin: