Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Boar

Summer sausage.

Ive had the day off, wheew, 80 lus hours in the last week alone. getting uo the never to try an do some sausage, I have bear meat left, so i wanna do a 25 lb of summer. gonna have to do it in stages. thaw then grind, mix, possibley have o refreez do to work then thaw and make, with time a huge factor, would it bennefit me to leave out smoking and just do in the oven or what are your siggestion.

plus Reiny, could you post your summer recipie for me, I have a heck of a time surfing ur page but Il take a look. 

again this is a possibilty not something i cna count on doing. BUT I MISS SAUSAGE11

Don't blow a gasket Boar; here it is...

JALAPENO SUMMER SAUSAGE

Wanting to try a new summer sausage, I decided on Curley’s jalapeno summer sausage mix. Just got the pack enough for 10 pounds. Like to try smaller amounts first before making larger batches. Had some 80/20 lean ground beef in the freezer so I took that out to thaw. I had fibrous casings on hand, but maybe not enough. No problem, since I still had some collagen casings I use for sticks also. Here is what I used:

10 pounds of 80/20 lean ground beef

2 cups of dry milk powder

1 pack of Curley’s Jalapeno Summer Sausage mix [enough for 10 pounds]

2 tsp cure#1 [comes with seasoning pack]

2 T mustard seeds

3 cups water

I sprinkled the dry powder milk over the ground beef along with the mustard seeds. Put the rest of the ingredients and cure in the water and mixed it well. Then poured that over the meat. Mixed everything well. Then put the sausage mix in the fridge for a overnight stay for everything to meld together. Next day I stuffed everything.

This time around I used my barrel type Char-Griller smoker/grill with the side fire box. Just wanted to see how it would work smoking summer sausage. I used my Amps smoker tube which really worked well. Cold smoked the sausage for 5 hours and the tube still was going good. So I added one load of hot charcoal in the fire box. This put the temp in the barrel up to 225 deg. which was just fine. When the temp started to drop I just added some dry oak branches, a few at a time. This bumped the temp up and gave me additional smoke as well. I had cherry pellets in the Amps. When the internal temp of the summer reached 160 I pulled the summer and put summer in ice water to stop the cooking process. Made a few sticks with casings and a few without [grandkids] with part of the batch which I also smoked. Here are some pics:

Once I ground, mixed spices in and did a real good mixing, stuffed, smoked.  All in one day.  Tasted great.  Whether it is in a bowl or in a casing it is still melding.  Just make sure to mix real good.  All depends on how much time a guy has.

thanks guys, im also thinking on going casingless. which might save time, but i have to forme itwhich takes time, would rather not go thru the stuffer mess.

thanks reb, thinking just plain summer, no Jalopenenio

Do you have Curley's sesoning on hand and if you do what kind?  I can tell you what to use if I knew what you have on hand.  You can use the formed bacon seasoning also for summer.  Reb, thanks for posting that recipe for me.  good luck.

1 hour ago, reinhard1 said:

Do you have Curley's sesoning on hand and if you do what kind?  I can tell you what to use if I knew what you have on hand.  You can use the formed bacon seasoning also for summer.  Reb, thanks for posting that recipe for me.  good luck.

Yer welcome, RH.  I figgered if he didn't get it soon, he'd come up with some inedible concoction that even smoming couldn't help. :grin:

Ya right now my page is pretty basic but I don't see why you are having trouble with it.  you go to Homemade Sausage page and just scroll down.  Once I get that thing updated I'm hoping that you could just hit summer sausage and there it is type of thing but I"ve got to get my brain updated also so I can put that on there.   I've got the salami on there also Boar.  When you get the seasoning let me know and I'll help you with it.  good luck.

15 minutes ago, reinhard1 said:

Ya right now my page is pretty basic but I don't see why you are having trouble with it.  you go to Homemade Sausage page and just scroll down.  Once I get that thing updated I'm hoping that you could just hit summer sausage and there it is type of thing but I"ve got to get my brain updated also so I can put that on there.   I've got the salami on there also Boar.  When you get the seasoning let me know and I'll help you with it.  good luck.

reiny.............consider the 2 clowns who are asking and looking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:grin:

ok my bbear meat poundage.wjhat wat i expected. ive got.10.lbbs nbear meat,.5 lbbs ground.pork. i need 10 more  lbbs for thhe 25 lb nbatch.  would u get.more pork?? ive got ten lbbs of nvurger i could use

Boy I need a new phone, after dropping it in the toilet, the keyboard when funcky, hope ya understood that Reiny, thats what i figured, id use beef, gonna be an itresting tri meat sausage. Thanks reiny. got the seasoning ordered, now were getting busy again at work. bummer..

On 4/27/2016 at 7:05 AM, Boar said:

Boy I need a new phone, after dropping it in the toilet, the keyboard when funcky, hope ya understood that Reiny, thats what i figured, id use beef, gonna be an itresting tri meat sausage. Thanks reiny. got the seasoning ordered, now were getting busy again at work. bummer..

No need to post a selfie of the incident. We will take your word for it