• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Summer sausage.

Ive had the day off, wheew, 80 lus hours in the last week alone. getting uo the never to try an do some sausage, I have bear meat left, so i wanna do a 25 lb of summer. gonna have to do it in stages. thaw then grind, mix, possibley have o refreez do to work then thaw and make, with time a huge factor, would it bennefit me to leave out smoking and just do in the oven or what are your siggestion.

plus Reiny, could you post your summer recipie for me, I have a heck of a time surfing ur page but Il take a look. 

again this is a possibilty not something i cna count on doing. BUT I MISS SAUSAGE11

Don't blow a gasket Boar; here it is...

JALAPENO SUMMER SAUSAGE

Wanting to try a new summer sausage, I decided on Curley’s jalapeno summer sausage mix. Just got the pack enough for 10 pounds. Like to try smaller amounts first before making larger batches. Had some 80/20 lean ground beef in the freezer so I took that out to thaw. I had fibrous casings on hand, but maybe not enough. No problem, since I still had some collagen casings I use for sticks also. Here is what I used:

10 pounds of 80/20 lean ground beef

2 cups of dry milk powder

1 pack of Curley’s Jalapeno Summer Sausage mix [enough for 10 pounds]

2 tsp cure#1 [comes with seasoning pack]

2 T mustard seeds

3 cups water

I sprinkled the dry powder milk over the ground beef along with the mustard seeds. Put the rest of the ingredients and cure in the water and mixed it well. Then poured that over the meat. Mixed everything well. Then put the sausage mix in the fridge for a overnight stay for everything to meld together. Next day I stuffed everything.

This time around I used my barrel type Char-Griller smoker/grill with the side fire box. Just wanted to see how it would work smoking summer sausage. I used my Amps smoker tube which really worked well. Cold smoked the sausage for 5 hours and the tube still was going good. So I added one load of hot charcoal in the fire box. This put the temp in the barrel up to 225 deg. which was just fine. When the temp started to drop I just added some dry oak branches, a few at a time. This bumped the temp up and gave me additional smoke as well. I had cherry pellets in the Amps. When the internal temp of the summer reached 160 I pulled the summer and put summer in ice water to stop the cooking process. Made a few sticks with casings and a few without [grandkids] with part of the batch which I also smoked. Here are some pics:

1 hour ago, reinhard1 said:

Do you have Curley's sesoning on hand and if you do what kind?  I can tell you what to use if I knew what you have on hand.  You can use the formed bacon seasoning also for summer.  Reb, thanks for posting that recipe for me.  good luck.

Yer welcome, RH.  I figgered if he didn't get it soon, he'd come up with some inedible concoction that even smoming couldn't help. :grin:

Ya right now my page is pretty basic but I don't see why you are having trouble with it.  you go to Homemade Sausage page and just scroll down.  Once I get that thing updated I'm hoping that you could just hit summer sausage and there it is type of thing but I"ve got to get my brain updated also so I can put that on there.   I've got the salami on there also Boar.  When you get the seasoning let me know and I'll help you with it.  good luck.

15 minutes ago, reinhard1 said:

Ya right now my page is pretty basic but I don't see why you are having trouble with it.  you go to Homemade Sausage page and just scroll down.  Once I get that thing updated I'm hoping that you could just hit summer sausage and there it is type of thing but I"ve got to get my brain updated also so I can put that on there.   I've got the salami on there also Boar.  When you get the seasoning let me know and I'll help you with it.  good luck.

reiny.............consider the 2 clowns who are asking and looking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:grin:

Boy I need a new phone, after dropping it in the toilet, the keyboard when funcky, hope ya understood that Reiny, thats what i figured, id use beef, gonna be an itresting tri meat sausage. Thanks reiny. got the seasoning ordered, now were getting busy again at work. bummer..

On 4/27/2016 at 7:05 AM, Boar said:

Boy I need a new phone, after dropping it in the toilet, the keyboard when funcky, hope ya understood that Reiny, thats what i figured, id use beef, gonna be an itresting tri meat sausage. Thanks reiny. got the seasoning ordered, now were getting busy again at work. bummer..

No need to post a selfie of the incident. We will take your word for it