• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thirdeye's Smoked Sucker Recipe

Even after canning, I am very impressed with the final product. Note that I hadn't cleaned the jars off yet so you still see some canning residue...

1.jpg

As sucker is low on oil, I added a teaspoon of canola oil to each jar before processing. 90 minutes at 10#s of pressure and I now have 8 pints of boneless sucker, which is a nice upgrade over the bone minefield you usually wade through when snacking on old big lips. Now that I know it holds up well throughout, I'll try to process another 16 pints this weekend (assuming I can catch more fish), and have my "reserve" for the year. My favorite way to utilize the canned fish is in a cracker dip.

I am not a big fan of Ranch dressing, but it works well here as it's not overpowering:

• Shake jar of fish to evenly distribute oil
  • Add to a bowl and use a fork to mash it up
  • Add equal parts mayo and Ranch to get desired consistency
  • Dice 1-2 jalapenos and half a medium sweet onion, mix in
  • Serve with crackers

This is a must have easy appetizer for all Viking's games...hope I need 19 jars this year ;) 

Edited by pikestabber

No foul play here. Before they hit the creeks to spawn they readily feed in the larger rivers. Anywhere they can hole up is a good place to try with a slip rig and crawler. You do hear of people snagging them below dams (illegal), but that is long after they've moved from their aggressive pre-spawn feeding pattern they are in now. These were all actively feeding fish. I'd much rather catch them now than spear them full of holes later. Don't get me wrong, both are fun, but it's nice not cleaning fish with busted up ribs, etc.

Spearing actually opens April 30th this year. It used to be May 1, but recently it became the Saturday closest to May 1. By then they should be out of the bigger rivers and in spawn mode in the shallower creeks.

Edited by pikestabber

i'll be up the weekend of april 30th. I may go look but have no interest in suckers. maybe if they were good for pickling.?????????

with a handle like pikestabber I would think cleaning fish  with holes in them would be second nature!!!!!!!!:grin:

21 minutes ago, smurfy said:

i'll be up the weekend of april 30th. I may go look but have no interest in suckers. maybe if they were good for pickling.?????????

with a handle like pikestabber I would think cleaning fish  with holes in them would be second nature!!!!!!!!:grin:

Ha ha. Yeah, I didn't say I COULDN'T clean holey fish, I just prefer not to! ;)

Pickled sucker is actually quite good. When cleaned and washed up, suckers have a nice white flesh. They do have a pretty pronounced mud line that I would suggest cutting away as you chunk them for pickling, but the end result is really good. Just use the same recipe you'd use for pickled pike.

27 minutes ago, pikestabber said:

Ha ha. Yeah, I didn't say I COULDN'T clean holey fish, I just prefer not to! ;)

Pickled sucker is actually quite good. When cleaned and washed up, suckers have a nice white flesh. They do have a pretty pronounced mud line that I would suggest cutting away as you chunk them for pickling, but the end result is really good. Just use the same recipe you'd use for pickled pike.

okey rokey....... might just bring an old dusty sucker spear with up der next week!!!!!!!!!!:D

Whoa, Thanks for the kind words about my fish cure.  I've been bouncing between work, a remodeling project and had to change out internet providers so I've been limited to online time.... just saw this post and that looks amazing.  Canning fish that has been smoked is always a nice touch, but I'll admit I've never tried sucker.  I've had canned carp though.