• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New barbecue sauces

I like to try pretty much anything new I see in the store that doesn't look like lame sauce.  I always look for something that isn't half corn syrup, but I'll go with sweet baby rays or whatever if I have to.  I just can't do KC masterpiece anymore, but I'll take it over Heinz.   

My current go to is some stuff called "Stubbs".  I'm making my way through the flavors.   

I got this "hot vinegar" sauce in a sampler pack at Oklahoma Joe's in KC last year.  I had the ribs on the grill, ready for sauce, when I hear the wife's reaction to tasting it.  It was weird, to say the least.  Wife ended up concocting a makeshift sauce by just jamming a brown sugar into ketchup and just about every thing else she had in the kitchen and it tasted like brown sugar in ketchup with just about everything else in the kitchen.  Still, I think it beat that sauce.  I sort of want to try it, but I haven't done it.

Edited by bobbymalone

I have a couple of sauces you can make yourself on my page.   Here is one that is very simple and can be made quickly.  Just take one cup of ketchup and one cup of Western salad dressing and mix them up.  Warm it up on the stove and add a little apple juice to it so it can be used as a mop sauce.  Can use it on pork or chicken.  I do not buy any sauces but some of the one'w mentioned do sound good.  good luck.

John Hardy's here in Rochester has sauce that is good.  Back in the day, he started with Open Pit and doctored it up some.   Now they have woosified it.  Used to be I could hardly eat the medium, and hot was out of the question.  Now they have like 6 levels and medium is the new mild, and mild my wife will eat. 

I make some sauces but I also found a sauce that I really like. It is southern spicy sweet from the Shed barbecue and blues joint, I think they are in Mississippi?. Some Cub stores carry it, you can find out those that do on the Shed page. No high fructose corn syrup, if you look at the ingredient list it is all good stuff, it does not read like a chemistry exam as a lot do. They have other varieties but I really like this one. Google the shed and see what you think.

Edited by Crow Hunter

2 hours ago, delcecchi said:

John Hardy's here in Rochester has sauce that is good.  Back in the day, he started with Open Pit and doctored it up some.   Now they have woosified it.  Used to be I could hardly eat the medium, and hot was out of the question.  Now they have like 6 levels and medium is the new mild, and mild my wife will eat. 

You think that's good?! Tasteless to me. Some heat and that's it. Watery katchup, as Smurf would say. He'd probably like it. 'course, no real bbq places in CAWchester anyway.  They wouldn't know one here if it bit them in the butt. I used to be a Bullseye hickory smoke sauce guy, but it's hard to find now. I like KC and Texas style sauces. Do not care for Carolina style sauces. It's whatever works for ya, I guess.  ;)