• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hot dogs/brauts

OK all this talk about hot dogs and brauts got me to thinkin!!!!!!! put a cork in it Reb and Boar!!!!!!!!:grin::D I know most ya here have the luxury of making your own, but like me unless your talented enough to guess super bowl stats to get that homemade stuff sent to ya,:P whats some of your favorite store bought hot dogs and brauts?????

we have a local butcher shop in Richmond called plantenbergs that makes thee ultimate number 1 hot dog ever. and pretty spoiled with them. they also make some pretty good brauts. this butcher shop has also one awards at the state fair with there sausages and other foods.

I will buy occasionally meat market hot dogs or brauts but never this schweigert type stuff or Johnsonville typr brauts!!!!!

I like the locally produced brats from Morgan's in town here the best. Local business and a wide selection. Also an award winner. Plus they process our lambs. Very pleased with how we're treated in that department. 

For grocery store stuff:

When I do my "anal" meeting I get a case of Ambassador weenies from the local grocery store. Been eating them since I was in college although in those days it was "splurging". Got tired of eating Corn Kings and ramen! Have also had some decent Hillshire Farms weenies from the store too but he's not carrying those anymore for whatever reason. Get along OK with fresh Johnsonvilles but the smoked models are just glorified weenies with collagen casing. That's what Mrs. Cheviot bought the other day. OK but not what I buy typically.  

we're having hot dog night tonight. Talked about it yesterday.  I like the ambassadors too.  We'll watch the Wild and eat dogs.  My son and I mock the announcers when they say "Playoff Hockey" when a guy blocks a shot.  We also have decided to complain about every call by refs and linesman.  It makes the loss more entertaining when you claim you were screwed by the ref.  I've gone years of trying to not be a homer in every sport and just now realized it's no fun being that way.  The linesman take 25 seconds to drop the puck, boot centers out and then after a goal the ref drops the puck with both sets of wings 5 feet away crosschecking each other at the same time.  Parise has an "upper body injury"?  Tell me where, what, how it happened, let's go!

Ok, back to wiener talk.  Sorry.

I used to be in the Ottertail Rod and gun Club.  We just did community event type of things to earn money to better the community.  Fun group of guys.  One of the things was we ran the Demolition Derby.  They told me they ran out of hot dogs every year.  They kept buying more of them but everyone loved them and ate them all.  They got the Ambassador skin on ones and cooked them in a few of those big white roasters.  Everything tastes good out of them.  They had them covered with beer and completely smothered with sliced onions.  I mean smothered, you had to find the dogs in the onions and of course put some onions on the dog too.  Well they simmered them for hours and they were awesome...  

54 minutes ago, Boar said:

ive no deccent weiners up here but my own and a loccal prossessor a ffew town away, he makes a great variety, and one off my dfaves is blue berry brauts. really awsome stuffff

Talkin about Michaels???  If not, he's got a heck of a selection too!!!

22 minutes ago, reinhard1 said:

I have only bought some skinnless hot dogs when the grandkids were small and  that's all they wanted.  Other than that I haven't bought any sausage for many years.  Now the grandkids are into my stuff, so one reason I make stuff all year long.  I believe that anyone who makes there own sausage as far as a buisness has better sausage than any comercial brand you can buy.  Any local meat market has them beat.  They depend on their customers to keep coming back so they make good stuff.  Stores have a large variety and are so full of fillers, that the quality is just not there.  Ambassador wieners are about the best product out there as far as commercially made.   I worked for one year [when I first started out in the buisness] there when they were located next to Rudolf BBQ downtown.  I think it was near Central Ave and Hennepin ave.  Still had the original owners there at the time.  They made the best ring bologna back then called A bologna.  good luck.

I just looked up Ambassador...and found out they are "Ambassador/Wimmer meats"  I love, and can only find one store here that carries Wimmer's Braunschweiger. Just bought a slab Saturday!  Best  b'schwieger ever, been eating it for years. :)

I've got a couple good local meat shops near me up here.   In Cloquet itself is B and B market.  They usually have about 20+ types of home made brats, and several types of dogs.  Just an all-around good meat market.

Just down the road a little ways is T.J's Country Store in Mahtowa.  You might have seen a billboard for them if you drive up/down I-35 to Duluth.  Their saying is "Our Wurst is Best" :D   All of their stuff is homemade and they always have a good variety to choose from.

38 minutes ago, smurfy said:

WHOOP WHOOP off topic!!:angry::P:grin:

I'm afraid not, my little white-footed friend. We were talking Ambassador meats...and Wimmer braunschweiger is along topic. And stop using my *WHOOP*WHOOP* alarm.  :cry:

3 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

I'm afraid not, my little white-footed friend. We were talking Ambassador meats...and Wimmer braunschweiger is along topic. And stop using my *WHOOP*WHOOP* alarm.  :cry:

it sure was ya neighbor lady heartbreaker!!!!!!!!!!:P not once in your post did you mention a wiener or braut.........all you said was braunscheigert!!!!!!!!!:D anyway carry on!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin: 

12 minutes ago, leechlake said:

yep...way off topic.  Whoooooooo   Whoooooooooo!!!!  Citizen's Arrest.

Delbert was taken so I'm going with Royal like Boar suggested.  

Hmmm...Boar can spell Delbert? :D You could be Little Delbert.  Actually I was thinking you look more like a Maynard..:D

I'd take Myron over Maynard.  Btw I had some hunters stop by and ask permission to hunt my oat field.  I denied permission and used the "my nephew is coming back from the Marines and I promised him first" line.  Us farmers never actually say no, we just use an excuse.  Also my wife is Little Debbie, Little Delbert is too close. 

40 minutes ago, smurfy said:

it sure was ya neighbor lady heartbreaker!!!!!!!!!!:P not once in your post did you mention a wiener or braut.........all you said was braunscheigert!!!!!!!!!:D anyway carry on!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin: 

Why would I mention a weener?! I knew YOU'D pop in!!!!!  And yer startin' to speak Boaresque!!!   :D

47 minutes ago, leechlake said:

I'd take Myron over Maynard.  Btw I had some hunters stop by and ask permission to hunt my oat field.  I denied permission and used the "my nephew is coming back from the Marines and I promised him first" line.  Us farmers never actually say no, we just use an excuse.  Also my wife is Little Debbie, Little Delbert is too close. 

I had a Great Uncle Roy. He was a bootlegger. Got squashed by a tree when he was cutting it down. Myron is a good one. A few Delmer's and Elmer's around here. Norbert's, Ole's, Sven's, George's, Stanley's, Darrel's, and Hank's too. Also some O'dean's. Not sure why they had to add an O' to the Dean but they did.

Yes, excuse making is crucial. It's a valuable asset when dealing with religious groups, insurance, fertilizer and other pesky salespersons. Notice I said "salespersons". The latest fad is to send some foxy babe out to convert you or sell you stuff because the powers that be think they'll get in the door where some high pressure guy won't make it past the front porch. After being pursued by Mrs. Cheviot all these years, I am a master of deception. I'll tell them I'm a Rastafarian, just the hired hand or in the case of the fertilizer guy, that I'm organic and show them the huge manure pile. :P 

So that's your wife's pic on the snack cakes? I thought she looked familiar! 

What was the topic again? :lol:

Little Debbie.png

I used salesperson on here the other day.  I'm done with all that mumbo jumbo stuff.  For example, I just went driving with my daughter and we ran into a buddy of mines wife.  She's a stewardess for Delta, not a flight attendant.  My daughter almost ran over a gal in the parking lot that decided she'd exercise her pedestrian right of walking in front of a car.  That works great unless the driver is 15 and a little flustered looking for a parking spot.  The gal gave my daughter the look and my daughter apologized.  I added to the gal that she's 15 and learning and that getting run over in the parking lot is a bad way to prove that you have the right of way.

Back on my point I'm worn out on this PC stuff and I'm not saying it for any Trump reasons.  The straw that broke the camel's back for me was this weekend when ABC News was falling all over itself with a story on a reporter of theirs that got married.  He married another guy.  I could care less if people are gay but if a male ABC reporter married some gal you'd hear nothing about it.  Star and Trib will do a story on three couples that remodeled their house, two of the three couples end up being gay.   I'm so tired of it all that I'm wishing gay people would go "old school" and just stay in the closet and lead a secret gay life.  At least it would be a refreshing change.   Did I mention I could care less if people are gay?  I don't care but if I didn't know better 67% of people are gay if I based it on what I read in the news.  

Ok...back to wieners. :)

1 hour ago, KEN W said:

Another vote for Ambassador. But they have to be the all beef wieners. Firmer that the other Ambassador's. My family of kids and grandkids turn up their noses at anything else.

First world problem.