• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bought my first wheeler

AlwaysFishing23

Hi everyone, I bought my first wheeler this last weekend it's a 2005 Polaris magnum 330 4x4 it has 505 miles on it and about 56 hours the machine doesn't have a single scratch on it it looks like it it brand new it has lots of power for a 330 but not the fastest thing In the world does anyone have any experienice with the 330 magnum I heard there very good machines?

57 minutes ago, Fishin machine said:

Hi everyone, I bought my first wheeler this last weekend it's a 2005 Polaris magnum 330 4x4 it has 505 miles on it and about 56 hours the machine doesn't have a single scratch on it it looks like it it brand new it has lots of power for a 330 but not the fastest thing In the world does anyone have any experienice with the 330 magnum I heard there very good machines?

I had a new 2003 330 Mag. It was a great ride and our family had a lot of fun with it. I put on the rear "resting" seat so my wife could um, rest as we went down the trails. ;)

I rode a lot with my buddy who had a 500 up at his cabin by the Dora Lake area. He would always beat me down the road on a straight away but in the woods I was right with him. The funny thing being lighter and in 4 wheel drive. I had to pull his stuck ars out of swamps 3 times. One time I had to buzz through the swamp to hard ground right past him to pull him out the other side. The only reason I sold mine was my son went off to college and we just weren't getting to use it as much.  Have fun! :)

IMG_0535a.jpg

Edited by leech~~

24 minutes ago, Fishin machine said:

Couple on questions first are these machine EFI or carberated I've looked around but can't find anything? Second going around 3-9 MPH it squeaks is this normal? My dad has a 2012 sportsmen 500 and it does the same thing is there something you can do?

They are a Carb motor and a little cold blooded when first starting.

I also had a few slow speed squeaks from time to time. It can be a lot of things. Dirt and mud stuck in the brakes from the last ride, Most of mine only happen when making slow turns which could have been mud packed in the brakes. But, it could be drive train wear as well, but it sounds like there are not many miles on it?

16 hours ago, Walleyehooker said:

One thing nice about the smaller machines is they are much lighter and you can pick them up and move them around and fit between trees in the woods.

Actually, smaller doesn't necessarily mean lighter. I had a '99 Kawasaki Prairie 300 single cylinder, full-time 4x4 with straight axle. The spec weight of the machine empty was 604#. I now have a 2007 Kawasaki 750 Brute Force v-twin, with independent suspension. The dry weight spec is also 604#. 

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

They are a Carb motor and a little cold blooded when first starting.

I also had a few slow speed squeaks from time to time. It can be a lot of things. Dirt and mud stuck in the brakes from the last ride, Most of mine only happen when making slow turns which could have been mud packed in the brakes. But, it could be drive train wear as well, but it sounds like there are not many miles on it?

No only 500 miles!

3 minutes ago, BobT said:

Actually, smaller doesn't necessarily mean lighter. I had a '99 Kawasaki Prairie 300 single cylinder, full-time 4x4 with straight axle. The spec weight of the machine empty was 604#. I now have a 2007 Kawasaki 750 Brute Force v-twin, with independent suspension. The dry weight spec is also 604#. 

Exactly! This 330 mag weighs about 637 dry and the same size as full size machine!

Is there anything you can do to clean mud out?

1 hour ago, Fishin machine said:

No only 500 miles!

Exactly! This 330 mag weighs about 637 dry and the same size as full size machine!

Just make sure you give it a good spray down after any mud rides. Some people don't like pressure washers because they can blow water in to places like wiring and stuff but I did use one.

4 hours ago, BobT said:

I'm surprised as some of those bigger machines sure look heavy. But I haven't bought a 4 wheeler since I bought my Honda 300 4X4 back in 99. Not even sure what it weighs but is easy to pick up and move around. Been a great machine as Ive only put gas and oil in it and a battery. I think it may even have its original plug. And still starts and runs like a watch.

23 hours ago, Fishin machine said:

I try to clean mine as soon as possible so the mud doesn't dry in as much. I just use a garden hose rather than a high pressure sprayer because I don't want to risk damaging things like CV joint boots. 

18 hours ago, Walleyehooker said:

I'm surprised as some of those bigger machines sure look heavy. But I haven't bought a 4 wheeler since I bought my Honda 300 4X4 back in 99. Not even sure what it weighs but is easy to pick up and move around. Been a great machine as Ive only put gas and oil in it and a battery. I think it may even have its original plug. And still starts and runs like a watch.

Don't know which model you have but I looked up the specs for a 1999 Honda FourTrax TRX300 and it is shown as just short of 529 pounds dry weight.

Well the cool temps are here and the good old 330 mag is running amazing great little machine but its sure a pain in the butt to get that thing running in the morning it takes forever to get to stay running once i do it runs great and fires right back is this normal for this model? Is there anything to do to help it to start easer when it cooler out?

25 minutes ago, Fishin machine said:

Well the cool temps are here and the good old 330 mag is running amazing great little machine but its sure a pain in the butt to get that thing running in the morning it takes forever to get to stay running once i do it runs great and fires right back is this normal for this model? Is there anything to do to help it to start easer when it cooler out?

Mine was super cold blooded to warm up. That's why I never used it in the winter.

FM, my Honda Foreman 450 is like that. Need to keep pulling up the choke for quite a while, but after it is warm it is good to go. Have fun!

When it is super cold out, for my honda that is anything colder than 5 above, I need to go and start it every few hours, or I will be pulling it started. Buddies fancy new polaris with efi even got too cold one night but he left it sitting on lake without starting it for about 12 hours or so in -20 weather.

Mac, that may be my issue... I don't know what you are talking about :)

Please tell me about this primer, if it is different than the choke pull on the dash.

Also, you gave me info about calibrating or adjusting the shifter a long time ago, but I can't find it anymore. I might could use some adjustment, as even with good battery it sometimes isn't shifting directly, but it always does shift.

Thanks!

On October 9, 2016 at 7:53 PM, leech~~ said:

Mine was super cold blooded to warm up. That's why I never used it in the winter.

Was reading my manual and noticed you can get warmer kits anyone have one of these? Do they actually help? Are they expensive? Where do they go?

10 minutes ago, Fishin machine said:

Was reading my manual and noticed you can get warmer kits anyone have one of these? Do they actually help? Are they expensive? Where do they go?

And can you plug it in out in the middle of a lake or woods! :lol:

I can see how that would help start it at home but after Ice fishing all day?

7 hours ago, BoxMN said:

Mac, that may be my issue... I don't know what you are talking about :)

Please tell me about this primer, if it is different than the choke pull on the dash.

If you remove the left (if I remember correctly) side cover and look at the bottom of the carburetor you should see the black knob (see photo) . Pull then push the primer several times and it should start much, much better in the cold and /or even if it has just been sitting for an extended time,

You may have a problem with it being stuck or seized up if it has never been used, but it is available separately and easy to install.

Give it a try!

image.png

Edited by Macgyver55

44 minutes ago, Macgyver55 said:

If you remove the left (if I remember correctly) side cover and look at the bottom of the carburetor you should see the black knob (see photo) . Pull then push the primer several times and it should start much, much better in the cold and /or even if it has just been sitting for an extended time,

You may have a problem with it being stuck or seized up if it has never been used, but it is available separately and easy to install.

Give it a try!

image.png

Why the heck would it be under a side cover? There may be a lot of folks who never even checked for that on those 4 by's?

12 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Why the heck would it be under a side cover? There may be a lot of folks who never even checked for that on those 4 by's?

The cover just snaps off in 2 seconds and the primer is not really needed very often?

Edited by Macgyver55

Bringing this one back from the dead.... Just wanted to say how pleased I’ve been with my purchase. It’ll be 2 years in April I’ve owned my machine and I have nothing bad to say expect it doesn’t like the cold which I knew. Yesterday I went out and groomed the trails around the property and I wasn’t sure how well it would go with the 11 inches of snow we received on Monday. Needless to say 4 wheel drive in low range with the great stock tires did the job I was beyond surprised as my dads 500 ho with stock tires wouldn’t even be able to drive in that much snow let alone pulling a 300+ pound device. It’s not always about having that big horsepower machine it’s what you do with that HP. If any of you are ever in the market for one these machines if you find a good condition unit I promise you it will be the best purchase money can buy.