• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nfl Draft, Trades, and Free Agency

reinhard1

Thought I would start a page for those that are smarter than me in the game of Football as far as knowing players since I'm basicly a die hard Viking fan and a couch potato vs a expert at this.  Looks like the Titans traded their No. 1 pick to the Rams.  Under the deal, Tennessee swaps the No. 1 pick to the Rams along with its picks in the fourth and sixth round to the Rams.  The Rams will give the Titans their first round pick at No. 15 along with two second round selections and their third round pick in the draft starting April 28th.  The Titans also will recieve the Rams first and third round picks in the 2017 draft.  good luck.

It was almost inevitable that someone was going to sell the farm for Cleveland's pick after Tennessee cashed in last week and sure enough Philly took the bait.  

I still have a feeling that LA is going to take the hometown boy which then leaves Wentz going to Philly.  THANK GOODNESS!

Reports are claiming that Bradford is butthurt about the Philly move so there could be a rookie starter in Philly yet.  Bradford to Denver???

I think Wentz is too risky to sell out that many draft picks for him. Cleveland obviously isn't sold on him. Both the Rams and Philly have way more needs than just QB. I think the Browns and Titans are smart to load up on picks and go after the defensive talent in this draft. Those firsts next year will probably come in handy as surely next year will have better offensive talent than this year's lackluster class.

How often do these trades work out for the team that gives up everything to move up?  If you give up that many picks and are able to pick up a franchise QB that is with you the next 10-15 years then its worth it but really anything below that and its probably a net loss.  I just can't remember one of these trades working out, most often it sets the team back 3-4 years.

I also saw Josh Norman refused to sign his franchise tag and no long term deal could be worked out so he's now a FA.  Not sure it was a smart move for him.  He could have signed the franchise tag deal and made a guaranteed $14 million next season but instead he's now a FA demanding HUGE money while most teams have already spent their FA money.  I think I heard only 5-6 teams even have enough cap space left to sign him for what he wants. I just don't see him getting the 15-16 million he wants this late in free agency with all the money having already been spent.  He certainly won't have the luxury of picking his team if he wants that kind of money.

Cleveland has RGIII so they weren't a lock to take a QB anyway. It had nothing to do with if they 'weren't sold on Wentz'.  Nobody knows if LA is taking Goff so if Cleveland really wanted him they could have waited to see LA's pick and then make the trade down to get other players if they truly didn't like Wentz. By making the trade now it shows they are putting their faith in RGIII and taking the rebuilding route. 

They have a lot of other holes to fill and aren't a contender this year so might as well start addressing those issues and look at a QB with a later pick or even waiting until next year's draft.  Smart on their part to take advantage of the situation that landed in their lap. 

The bounty given up by LA and Philly to move up is debatable, but they must see something in the two top QBs on the board... 

I think Cleveland absolutely made the right move by dealing that pick.  They have so many holes to fill that this makes perfect sense for them.  I'm just don't see things working out for the Ram's or Eagles.   The Ram's trade makes a little more sense because at least they can pick whichever QB they like best but Philly paid I high price to get the Ram's leftovers.

I assume they both see something good in the top 2 QB's and they must also think their team is close enough in all other areas that they won't need those other 4-5 picks they gave up to get their new QB's.

5 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

I think Cleveland absolutely made the right move by dealing that pick.  They have so many holes to fill that this makes perfect sense for them.

Cleveland finally figured out it's better to be on the end of these deals where they are doing the fleecing instead of getting fleeced. Good for them. On the other hand, they have lost a lot of pieces lately year and have lots of holes to fill.

These moves by LA and Philly reek of desperation, and they will almost inevitably backfire. So very seldom is a QB prospect worth a #1 pick. In fact, it's only generationally that it even pans out, it seems. I guess if you feel you are just 1 piece away from contention it might be worth a little shuffling to move up and ensure you get your guy, but both of these deals are atrocious for the teams moving up, IMO. I know a QB is the "backbone" of the team, but Ryan Leaf backing up Christian Ponder would've been a SB winning QB tandem in Denver this year...I think we are seeing solid depth and first class defense still wins championships.

Its an alright pick, a C or maybe a B is probably a reasonable grade if you were to assign a grade to it before ever seeing him play in the NFL.  At that spot there really wasn't another choice to be made given their needs.  Any other pick addressing need would probably have been a reach at that spot. 

Now we wait to see what he does in the NFL before we can assign a real grade. Might be an A or maybe its an F, we'll see.

Maybe Ole Miss only paid offensive tackles under the table and not the WR's?

The Texans made the move the Vikings should have made and got Doctson when he fell lower. They missed a better WR by one pick.

But hey Patterson evaluated really high too and we all know how that turned out.

55 minutes ago, LMITOUT said:

Pro Football Focus rates the pick as a C+... 

Yeah, that was the ONE source that didn't like the pick, but using PFF as your draft grading source is kind of like using National Enquirer as your regular news source.

OTHER GRADES INCLUDED:

• SI.com:   A
  • USA Today:   A
  • NFL.com:   A
  • SB Nation:   A
  • CBS Sports:   A
  • Yahoo Sports:   A-

The reality is it's WAY too early to know. Could be a stud, could be a total flop, and that is true of every single draft pick. Personally, I like the move, but time will tell.

We have more picks to come and Pikestabber is correct as far as draft picks and how they turn out.  Johny Football is a good example among others.  I remember when Studwell was drafted near the end of the draft and look how well he turned out.  So hopefully by the time the draft is over we will get some talent.  To me the greates asset this team has right now is Zimmer and his coaching staff.  They will get the best out of each player or they [players] will be gone.  good luck.

4 hours ago, reinhard1 said:

Laquon Treadwell, a wide reciever  6 foot 2 and 220 pounds.  Great pick Vikings!!  good luck.

Also someone that takes pride in being a good run blocker. My impression after watching his interview is that he isn't all wrapped up in only himself like some WR's.

I will say I was disappointed when Washington suprisingly to a WR at 22.  I really liked Doctson.  Treadwell was the receiver I thought we would get however.  Good size and blocking skills, unfortunately he doesn't sound like the best route runner.  The speed doesn't concern me as much.  If he can find separation and Bridgewater gains some confidence to throw a receiver open for a change he should be a good pick.

Treadwell when asked about an endorsement from Jerry Rice:

“It means a lot to me to hear it from him, you know, one of the best to ever do it. I’ve just got to keep working hard and stay humble and stay grounded and stay for the team.”

I think we made the right pick. Now hopefully his productivity on the field can match his character. 

1 hour ago, ANYFISH2 said:

, unfortunately he doesn't sound like the best route runner.  

From what I've been reading Treadwell is the most polished route runner in the draft.  He doesn't have the speed some of the other guys have but he's supposed to be a more polished receiver.