Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

BLACKJACK

Meat for the weekend

23 posts in this topic

Went down to the freezer last night and dug out some meat for the weekend meals, time to get it thawing out in the frig.

 

Took a whole chicken out for Sunday, its big, about 7 pounds, the other chicken thread got me motivated to get the rotisserie out on Sunday, it'll take until then to thaw out. For the Saturday night supper took out some hamburger patties.   Friday night supper is going to be a beef roast, I'm off Friday, I like to have supper waiting for the wife when she gets home, its easy to throw into the oven on time-bake, with lots of onions -- I still have some left from the garden last year and they're starting to grow, time to use them up!!! And of course some spuds with the roast. And since I'm off Friday, I always like to celebrate being away from work, so I took out some venison steaks. Me and my doggies will be sitting on the deck at noon Friday eating them hot off the grill!!!

 

Life is good, especially if you're  a carnivore!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a plan Blackjack.

One question though, do you get any assistance or ideas from the Mrs. on what you're going to be noshing on? The reason I ask is cooking for myself is easy-peasy. I enjoy it and having a few libations while I'm at it is relaxing. On the other hand, trying to guess what to make for both of us or hearing whining when what I've decided to make isn't the right doneness, won't eat this, or don't like that, etc., is starting to get on my nerves. Hell, I'm just happy when anybody cooks me anything. Well, maybe not parsnips. :lol:  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a turkey thawing out, and plan to start prepping it tonight for a Saturday smoke.  Rinse it, cut out the backbone, throw a handful of salt on it inside and out and bag it for a day.  Tomorrow: rinse it off, give it a fresh herb and butter massage, and let it sit in the fridge uncovered another day.  Usually only takes 3 hours in the smoker laying out flat at around 325 degrees with some pecan.  Another hour of rest, and it's time to eat!

smurfy, RebelSS, Cooperman and 2 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, McGurk said:

I've got a turkey thawing out, and plan to start prepping it tonight for a Saturday smoke.  Rinse it, cut out the backbone, throw a handful of salt on it inside and out and bag it for a day.  Tomorrow: rinse it off, give it a fresh herb and butter massage, and let it sit in the fridge uncovered another day.  Usually only takes 3 hours in the smoker laying out flat at around 325 degrees with some pecan.  Another hour of rest, and it's time to eat!

so you gonna be in Bloomington or ottertail county this weekend!!!!!!!!!:P:grin:

McGurk likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

B-town... next weekend is dock mania up nort'!

smurfy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

gotz me an uncle that lives in Bloomington!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dotch said:

Sounds like a plan Blackjack.

One question though, do you get any assistance or ideas from the Mrs. on what you're going to be noshing on? The reason I ask is cooking for myself is easy-peasy. I enjoy it and having a few libations while I'm at it is relaxing. On the other hand, trying to guess what to make for both of us or hearing whining when what I've decided to make isn't the right doneness, won't eat this, or don't like that, etc., is starting to get on my nerves. Hell, I'm just happy when anybody cooks me anything. Well, maybe not parsnips. :lol:  

Dotch, nope, didn't consult her.  She's actually pretty easy easy to cook for, just have to make sure her steaks aren't too bloody and she does tend to whine about the fact I cook too many potatoes but hey I'm the cook and the cook likes potatoes!!!  Mmmm maybe thats why she'll add something to the menu, which pizzes me off, if you want to add something to the menu, add it when you make the meal!!!  Or she'll whine about a can of corn, "I like frozen corn better". So its the side dishes that she might whine about but never the meat. And she'll volunteer to make a salad but I have to tell her just a salad not a Mongo salad, I want to eat some of the meat and potatoes that I cooked. So I let her do whatever side dishes she wants to do and they'll be leftovers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My venison steaks will be on the grill on Saturday.  The Mrs. is not home tonight and she said I could not grill them without her.  I might have to grill a pizza tonight or a chunk of fish.  The main question is whether to stop by the store for a lime for a little tonic and gin tonight or tomorrow????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, fivebucks said:

My venison steaks will be on the grill on Saturday.  The Mrs. is not home tonight and she said I could not grill them without her.  I might have to grill a pizza tonight or a chunk of fish.  The main question is whether to stop by the store for a lime for a little tonic and gin tonight or tomorrow????

why not pick enough up for both nites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I was off yesterday trading out the sleds for the boat (one of my favorite days of the year) I grilled up a 2.5# sirloin roast that I had seasoned up. and made a basket of grilled asparagus with olive oil and sea salt.  

Tonight is our first fire of the spring in the backyard firepit, and its tradition to do old fashioned skin on franks over the fire and make chili dogs  with all the fixins,  then smores for dessert.

Saturday is looking like brown sugar/teriyaki marinated halibut on the grill, with a few skewers of assorted veggies.

Sunday.........TBD:D

  

McGurk, Dotch, RebelSS and 3 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, smurfy said:

why not pick enough up for both nites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

My sentiments exactly!!!!! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jim Almquist said:

I made these up last weekend. 10lbs of Salami and 15lbs of Old Fashion Franks in my favorite size...Brat size

 

 

 

IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_0906.JPG

dang! and I was up your way wed!!!!!!

Jim Almquist likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jim Almquist said:

I made these up last weekend. 10lbs of Salami and 15lbs of Old Fashion Franks in my favorite size...Brat size

 

 

 

IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_0906.JPG

What brand of seasonings did you use Jim??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used Curly's for both. I added 2Tbl of garlic and 2 Tbl of whole peppercorns to the 10lbs Salami. I added 3 Tbl of mustard seeds to the 15lbs of Franks. Next time I will add a little heat to both but wanted to test them both without first. I like to write on the recipes just what I add so I can duplicate if it turns out good. I have not been disappointed with any of the seasonings from Curlys. My brothers loved the Polish and I told them wait till you try the Cajun. Summer Sausage is very good too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks very nice Jim!!!!  I have also made the Curley's franks ect.  Great stuff.  I love  your smoker.  Something I want to build myself!!  Great Job!!  good luck.

Dotch likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG, those franks look out of this world Jim!!   Awesome job.   I gotta stop over some time and check out that smoker, looks fantastic!:)

reinhard1 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a old box used to protect speakers. I just put on a door with some strips to give it a better seal. It is all 3/4 plywood. A better view with the gas smoker feeding the smoke to the box.

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

bobberineyes and reinhard1 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty slick Jim,  I have that same smoker,  which I only been using for jerky and fatties lately.  What kind of heat hits the box?

Edited by bobberineyes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When on medium it gets up to 130. I use the actual smoker for getting the temps up to 155 or my oven. Granted that was when it was cold out so who knows what summer temps will bring it up to on a hot day.

bobberineyes and reinhard1 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2016 at 3:05 PM, smurfy said:

why not pick enough up for both nites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I guess I wasn't thinking - I could have done backstraps one night and steaks the other.  I won't make the same mistake again:lol:

smurfy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the wife isn't a fan of venny on the grill. she eats it other ways. she thinks its to gamey........but when she isn't going to be home the venny steaks come out and the grill gets fired up!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now