• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Meat for the weekend

Went down to the freezer last night and dug out some meat for the weekend meals, time to get it thawing out in the frig.

Took a whole chicken out for Sunday, its big, about 7 pounds, the other chicken thread got me motivated to get the rotisserie out on Sunday, it'll take until then to thaw out. For the Saturday night supper took out some hamburger patties.   Friday night supper is going to be a beef roast, I'm off Friday, I like to have supper waiting for the wife when she gets home, its easy to throw into the oven on time-bake, with lots of onions -- I still have some left from the garden last year and they're starting to grow, time to use them up!!! And of course some spuds with the roast. And since I'm off Friday, I always like to celebrate being away from work, so I took out some venison steaks. Me and my doggies will be sitting on the deck at noon Friday eating them hot off the grill!!!

Life is good, especially if you're  a carnivore!!!

Sounds like a plan Blackjack.

One question though, do you get any assistance or ideas from the Mrs. on what you're going to be noshing on? The reason I ask is cooking for myself is easy-peasy. I enjoy it and having a few libations while I'm at it is relaxing. On the other hand, trying to guess what to make for both of us or hearing whining when what I've decided to make isn't the right doneness, won't eat this, or don't like that, etc., is starting to get on my nerves. Hell, I'm just happy when anybody cooks me anything. Well, maybe not parsnips. :lol:  

21 minutes ago, McGurk said:

I've got a turkey thawing out, and plan to start prepping it tonight for a Saturday smoke.  Rinse it, cut out the backbone, throw a handful of salt on it inside and out and bag it for a day.  Tomorrow: rinse it off, give it a fresh herb and butter massage, and let it sit in the fridge uncovered another day.  Usually only takes 3 hours in the smoker laying out flat at around 325 degrees with some pecan.  Another hour of rest, and it's time to eat!

so you gonna be in Bloomington or ottertail county this weekend!!!!!!!!!:P:grin:

1 hour ago, Dotch said:

Sounds like a plan Blackjack.

One question though, do you get any assistance or ideas from the Mrs. on what you're going to be noshing on? The reason I ask is cooking for myself is easy-peasy. I enjoy it and having a few libations while I'm at it is relaxing. On the other hand, trying to guess what to make for both of us or hearing whining when what I've decided to make isn't the right doneness, won't eat this, or don't like that, etc., is starting to get on my nerves. Hell, I'm just happy when anybody cooks me anything. Well, maybe not parsnips. :lol:  

Dotch, nope, didn't consult her.  She's actually pretty easy easy to cook for, just have to make sure her steaks aren't too bloody and she does tend to whine about the fact I cook too many potatoes but hey I'm the cook and the cook likes potatoes!!!  Mmmm maybe thats why she'll add something to the menu, which pizzes me off, if you want to add something to the menu, add it when you make the meal!!!  Or she'll whine about a can of corn, "I like frozen corn better". So its the side dishes that she might whine about but never the meat. And she'll volunteer to make a salad but I have to tell her just a salad not a Mongo salad, I want to eat some of the meat and potatoes that I cooked. So I let her do whatever side dishes she wants to do and they'll be leftovers.

My venison steaks will be on the grill on Saturday.  The Mrs. is not home tonight and she said I could not grill them without her.  I might have to grill a pizza tonight or a chunk of fish.  The main question is whether to stop by the store for a lime for a little tonic and gin tonight or tomorrow????

23 minutes ago, fivebucks said:

My venison steaks will be on the grill on Saturday.  The Mrs. is not home tonight and she said I could not grill them without her.  I might have to grill a pizza tonight or a chunk of fish.  The main question is whether to stop by the store for a lime for a little tonic and gin tonight or tomorrow????

why not pick enough up for both nites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

the wife isn't a fan of venny on the grill. she eats it other ways. she thinks its to gamey........but when she isn't going to be home the venny steaks come out and the grill gets fired up!!!!