Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

DrJill

Neural bypass technology

13 posts in this topic

I think this is astounding and offers great hope for the future.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/04/13/device-harnessing-thoughts-allows-quadriplegic-to-use-his-hands.html

WASHINGTON –  An Ohio man paralyzed in an accident while diving in waves can now pick up a bottle or play the video game Guitar Hero thanks to a small computer chip in his brain that lets his mind guide his hands and fingers, bypassing his damaged spinal cord.

"This study marks the first time that a person living with paralysis has regained movement by using signals recorded from within the brain."

The technology potentially could help people not only after spinal cord injuries but after strokes or traumatic brain injuries.

Edited by DrJill

47 minutes ago, DrJill said:

I think this is astounding and offers great hope for the future.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/04/13/device-harnessing-thoughts-allows-quadriplegic-to-use-his-hands.html

WASHINGTON –  An Ohio man paralyzed in an accident while diving in waves can now pick up a bottle or play the video game Guitar Hero thanks to a small computer chip in his brain that lets his mind guide his hands and fingers, bypassing his damaged spinal cord.

"This study marks the first time that a person living with paralysis has regained movement by using signals recorded from within the brain."

The technology potentially could help people not only after spinal cord injuries but after strokes or traumatic brain injuries.

Look, Jill started her own post!  And it's a positive one. :)

Are you ok Jill? :(

Dotch likes this

Just waiting for the hook set, sure there is something behind this landmark post

leech~~ likes this

8 hours ago, Bobby Bass said:

Just waiting for the hook set, sure there is something behind this landmark post

:grin:

39 minutes ago, bobbymalone said:

I thought this was a post about fox news.

Jill, like you may not hang there. ;)

ROFLMAO

I start a non-political thread about an amazing new development that gives hope to the over 6 million Americans who are paralyzed and what happens ?

The usual suspects would rather talk about me than the topic.

And, even better, because they rarely start a thread that isn't a trolling run, they assume that I must be doing the same.

You boys are hillarious.

2 questions ....

Do you miss the "It's all about me" thread I started ?

When you think about me, do you touch yourself ? ;)

Edited by DrJill
LindellProStaf likes this

58 minutes ago, DrJill said:

ROFLMAO

I start a non-political thread about an amazing new development that gives hope to the over 6 million Americans who are paralyzed and what happens ?

And, even better, because they rarely start a thread that isn't a trolling run, they assume that I must be doing the same.

You boys are hillarious.

2 questions ....

Ya the touch yourself, not so much. Just glad to see you have a positive side is all. Carry on amusing yourself. ;)

LindellProStaf likes this

To go from the ridiculous to the sublime, here is some more information, from the WSJ

Brain Implant Helps Restore Movement for Paralyzed Patient, Researchers Say

Tiny device implanted in motor cortex allows man with quadriplegia to make intricate movements

Researchers say a tiny device implanted in the brain of a man with quadriplegia has helped restore movement in his hand.
By
Amy Dockser Marcus
April 13, 2016 1:00 p.m. ET

A paralyzed man used an implant in his brain and his thoughts to move his arm, marking an advance in a decadeslong effort to restore movement to people with spinal-cord injuries.

Ian Burkhart, 24, became a quadriplegic five years ago after a diving accident. Messages from his brain to move his limbs can’t get to other parts of the body due to damage to his spinal cord.

Researchers from Ohio State University and Battelle Memorial Institute implanted a tiny device in Mr. Burkhart’s motor cortex, the part of the brain that controls movement. The device acts as a “neural bypass,” picking up the brain signals and sending them to a computer that decodes them, the researchers wrote in the science journal Nature.

Mr. Burkhart sits in front of a computer that shows a virtual hand demonstrating a movement. He then imagines making the movement. The brain signals are transmitted and decoded, and then electrical stimulation is delivered to the muscles using a sleeve embedded with electrodes that wraps around his arm.

In an experiment, Mr. Burkhart performed routine tasks that involve very complex hand and finger movements, including grasping a bottle, pouring its contents into a jar, and picking up a stick and stirring the contents.

“The uniqueness is, for the first time, we link brain signals in a high-fidelity and reproducible fashion within milliseconds to an individual who can move his own hands,” said Chad E. Bouton, one of the authors of the article and vice president of advanced engineering and technology at the Feinstein Institute for Medical Research in Manhasset, N.Y., who was previously at Battelle.

The work comes at a time when the field of “brain-computer interfaces” is receiving an infusion of federal money and a push to create applications that aren’t just interesting research projects but could eventually have practical uses in patients.

Last year, researchers led by a team at the University of California, Los Angeles published a study showing five men with paralysis making step-like movements through electrical stimulation to the spinal cord. And BrainGate, a multi-institutional project that is developing and testing its own neural-implant system, has shown patients able to control a keyboard and move a robotic arm.

Ali Rezai, director of Ohio State’s Center for Neuromodulation and one of the Nature paper’s authors, said the system currently can be used only in the lab.

Mr. Burkhart has a transmitter on his head that has to be plugged in to work. Brain signals change depending on everything from the temperature in the room to what someone is focusing on, and the algorithm that decodes those signals has to adjust in real time. The ability of the electrodes to transmit clear signals can erode over time. Meantime, Mr. Burkhart eventually may need to have the brain implant removed, due in part to concern about infection.

“The goal is to eventually get this out of the lab and make it available beyond one or two research subjects,” Dr. Rezai said.

Mr. Bouton said researchers think not only about how to restore movement, but how to make it natural. Everyday actions, such as shaking someone’s hand, are actually a complex process, he said.

Scientists are trying to find ways to give patients sensory feedback, too.

“Touch is so important for this technology,” he said. “When you shake hands, you want to feel the hand and adjust your grip.”

For now, one of the major obstacles is the small market size. Spinal-cord injuries affect approximately 150,000 people in the U.S., and not all of them are eligible to use such a device, said Peter Konrad, professor of neurosurgery at Vanderbilt University and vice president of the North American Neuromodulation Society.

Researchers are also studying the use of such devices in people with other conditions, including stroke and ALS, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, although it isn’t clear whether extracting brain signals from such patients might differ.

Dr. Konrad said new technology may need innovative funding methods. The project in the Nature paper was funded primarily by the university, Battelle and private philanthropists. It has been challenging to find successful business models to commercialize brain-computer technology, even when experiments demonstrate the difference restoring function can make in people’s lives.

“How much does it mean for Ian Burkhart to be able to move his hand?” Dr. Konrad asked.

Mr. Burkhart lives with his father and stepmother near Columbus, Ohio, studies business management in college and helps coach the high-school lacrosse team for which he used to play. He said the contrast between what he did in the lab during the three-times-a-week training sessions and what he does at home is sharp.

“I would like to be able to do things on my own instead of asking for help or waiting for someone else to help me with it,” he said. “The things I do in the lab, I would love to have in everyday life.”

http://www.wsj.com/articles/brain-implant-helps-restore-movement-for-paralyzed-patient-researchers-say-1460566801

There is a cool video, but I can't immediately figure out how to copy and post it.  If someone has a clue, let me know.  I am assuming the link is actually behind the paywall but will email to those interested.  Just PM me. 

15 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Ya the touch yourself, not so much. Just glad to see you have a positive side is all. Carry on amusing yourself. ;)

Not a statement needed!

20 hours ago, DrJill said:

ROFLMAO

You boys are hillarious.

2 questions ....

Doesn't this post belong in the non-political health & fitness forum?