Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Moon Lake Refuge

Grass in heavy shade

2 posts in this topic

Hey all, looking to find a grass(if there are any) that grows in heavy shade.  I think I'm taking a tree down shortly where I want it planted so that will help some but its still pretty heavily shaded.

Thanks,

Use a red creeping fescue, tall or hard fescue, or a perennial ryegrass , or a mix of the preceding for best luck. I find the Schulz brand "Shady Lawn" works well in northern climates in shaded areas. There are a few specific mixes for shade areas. Can't remember their specific mix, but I know it's rye, some blues,  and red fescue. Don't buy the "quick green" or bare spot" type seed,, that's usually an annual grass that will grow quickly and does not establish. Remember to put down some granulated fertilizer when covering up the seed, too. When you buy any grass seed, ALWAYS check the test date sticker on the bag. Should be within a couple months of purchase. Lots of box stores like to carry over year old seed...........

Moon Lake Refuge likes this