• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Some fun grill history

there's nothing better than the art of dropping a match in the right place to light your grill.  The windier the better I say.  If you aren't excited when you've gone through ten matches in the book and only have one match left and it seems wet and the gas has been going for 45 seconds you aren't alive!!!  Ignition systems are for pansies.

I own a weber gas grill also. dang if I can remember what one especially since I just wrote it down cause I need a new cover!!!!!!!:mad: as far is ignition systems, I go all in on union safety.........no matches!!!!!!!!!!:P that grill has to be 15-18 years old and haven't need to replace the fire starter system.

15 minutes ago, leechlake said:

someone should post the history of the hijacker to keep things balanced.

:grin: since your self titled that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hey LL, what brand of golf ball do you hit around and then go chase?????????

Smurfy, measure yer grill and go to the big box store and grab a canvas cover....the Weber accessories aren't near as good as the grills. All that non-union foreign speaking labor, ya know. :grin:

I bought the weber cover when I bought the grill and lasted till now. granted I may have extended its life a year or to but I have looked at other covers and am not impressed............just for you though I will look again!!!!!!!!!:D:grin: as long as I don't have to head to china mart!!!!!!!!;):grin: 

6 minutes ago, smurfy said:

I own a weber gas grill also. dang if I can remember what one especially since I just wrote it down cause I need a new cover!!!!!!!:mad: as far is ignition systems, I go all in on union safety.........no matches!!!!!!!!!!:P that grill has to be 15-18 years old and haven't need to replace the fire starter system.

:grin: since your self titled that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hey LL, what brand of golf ball do you hit around and then go chase?????????

I'm a Titelst ProV1X guy but don't want anyone to lose focus here.

1 minute ago, smurfy said:

I bought the weber cover when I bought the grill and lasted till now. granted I may have extended its life a year or to but I have looked at other covers and am not impressed............just for you though I will look again!!!!!!!!!:D:grin: as long as I don't have to head to china mart!!!!!!!!;):grin: 

for the cabin grill I found that my ATV cover worked fine and since I park my ATV in the garage didn't need it.  Besides grill covers can burn if you put on a lit grill.

2 minutes ago, leechlake said:

I'm a Titelst ProV1X guy but don't want anyone to lose focus here.

OK mr HSO  hijacker!!!!!!!!!!!:P:grin: its why I melded my posts..............as to not get off track. think those balls are made by us union guys!!!

Very cool Reb.  Back when the grills used were like those in the other thread my Cub Scout Den Mother had a Weber.  So that was about 1964 or so.  We would cook hot dogs on it for some Cub Scout meetings.  They were of course great.  I do remember we all would tease her son who was also a Scout about the weird grill that they had.  It must have been 10 or 15 years later before anyone else got a Weber.  All along she was the trendsetter and way ahead of her time.  She was a widow.

Same time I was a cub, LPS! I remember my uncle and Dad showing me how they cooked hotdogs "in the islands" (They both served in the Pacific during WWII)  Coffee can half full of sand, stir in some gasoline. We cooked dogs and marshmallows over the flames. Tasted like gas, but it was cool. :P

Ever see one of these? Could wheel the food right to the drunks!  :lol:

weber_grill_1965.jpg

And who doesn't remember the cheap Thermos grills from Woolworths? 

$_1.JPG

8 hours ago, RebelSS said:

ford grillpin_it_button.png

In the 1920s, Henry Ford, in collaboration with Thomas Edison and EB Kingsford, began making charcoal briquets commercially from wood scrap from the wood used to make cars parts in Ford's Detroit auto plants. Ford also began selling small portable grills (above, courtesy of grill collector Ed Reilly) and promoted picnics and camping as a great use of automobiles.

abercrombie & fitch grill

Funny, since I have a gas grill now and miss the taste of charcoal.  I was just in Fleet Farm yesterday reading the bag of Kingsford to try and see what kind of wood they used to make their briquettes so I could buy the same in smoking chips, and read this.

I just could not find smoking chips on the shelf in old Model T wood!! :(

pedantic means a perfectionist or meticulous btw or at least in my world.

I don't mean to brag but I have two Webers still.  Last night I used the one at home to make Ribeyes.  It had been a while and I forgot to open the lower vents so I lost the heat part way through but figured it out and corrected it.  The Weber is more of an art than it lets on to be but once you figured out the air flow perfectly you can be as pedantic as possible and still even please yourself!

And this is on topic since we were talking about Fords.  The term pickup came in about 1939.  When you ordered a new car it would be delivered to you home usually.  Then Ford offered the utility vehicle truck thing.  It had to be delivered to the dealer and put together.  The boards used to make the crate the vehicle came in were used to make the rear box of the truck vehicle.  After they reassembled the vehicle using those boards you had to go to the dealer and "pick up" your vehicle.  Hence the term Pickup Truck.......    Just heard that on the radio a while back....  I guess the rest of it was what went into the charcoal business which was genius too!