• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Busy Weekend!

It looks like a canine free zone?  Those of use with house dogs have years of autonomic manners in which food is placed on counters, tables, grilling areas.  It's like when you have toddlers and have all cabinets doors secured and electrical outlets covered.  Looking good!!!

Nice work!!!!

Once their done int he smoker, oput them in a ice bath to stop the cooking, and it keep the cassings from wrinkling.

another thing, just a tip, as learned from Reiny. wen doing sticks or brauts or anything cassing wise, when you hang them in the smoker for the first time, thats when you dry them. a little heat to dry out the cassing about half hour to an hour low heat no smoke, then add smoke, the smoke will permiate the cassing much better.

On 4/9/2016 at 11:22 PM, ThunderLund78 said:

First I've ever stuffed and linked sausage. Not bad!

2016-04-08 23.14.13.jpg

If my wife ever found raw meat on her dinning room table without something under it. You could all come to my funeral! :angry:  :lol:

Technically, the meat isn't touching the table, there's thin barrier of hog intestine :)  But I washed it first!

Trust me, MUCH sanitizing was done afterwards!  Maybe I can get her to sign off on a stainless steel butcher's table.

2 hours ago, ThunderLund78 said:

Technically, the meat isn't touching the table, there's thin barrier of hog intestine :)  But I washed it first!

Trust me, MUCH sanitizing was done afterwards!  Maybe I can get her to sign off on a stainless steel butcher's table.

My wife may careless if I died from the nu-sanitized meat I made. She just doesn't want raw meat slop on her wood table! :mad::D

Well, even though I went to work today, my "Busy Weekend" just ended and MAN did it and well!  The Chili Dogs turned out really good, but the true success story is the venison bacon.  It's delicious, and better yet, my wife and kids LOVE it.  I really appreciate that because:

1. It's a good lesson for the boys about where food comes from and that we can make it better than the store (and they helped)

2. The better-half is much happier when I spend 4 or 5 days straight in the woods if I can continue to provide these results! :lol:

Also, I got to teach my 8-year old some responsibility and he learned to run the meat slicer.  I was a little apprehensive but he understands what I've repeated to him over-and-over in the garage or when he tags along boating, fishing and hunting "TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR SAFETY!"  After several minutes of intense supervision, I trusted him to run it while I wrapped-up the sliced stuff right next to him. More than a few times, he shut off the machine and asked me to help if a slice got stuck rather than try to do it himself.  He's a good kid.   He got to stay up a little later on a school night and he and I had a really good time. He's not as much into the grinding, mixing and stuffing part, but my 5-year-old's all over that!  Anyway, enough of the sappy stuff.  here's the last pics of the the "meat-making" weekend!

Good color coming out of the smoker!

2016-04-11 22.07.28_resized.jpg

Had to cut sections off and then cut them in-half  for the bigger loaves to safely fit in the slicer

2016-04-11 22.08.54_resized.jpg 

This is about 1/10th of the finished product.  I didn't lose as much volume during the smoke as I thought I would.  Drip pan was clean when I was done.  This stuff ROCKS!!!  It won't be the last time i make it, that's for sure!

2016-04-11 22.10.09_resized.jpg

Perfect!!!  That was one of the first seasonings I tried myself.  Very nice flavor.  You and your crew did a great job!!  So nice to get the family involved.  This is why I make sausage.  I call it a adventure that never stops.  Always trying new things.  One important factor is, by making your own, you know what goes in there.  Much more healthier for the family and friends.  Great job, love the color.  good luck.