Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

leechlake

Secret Food Tips

10 posts in this topic

maybe a spot here for discoveries you've made over the years you'd like to share.  First one comes to mind is Jimmy Johns day old bread.  It's 50 cents and huge and is very tasty.  Tonight I picked it up to make sandwiches at home but sometimes we pick it up just to use as french bread.  It tastes fresh made to me.

JP Z, ThunderLund78 and McGurk like this

This isn't a secret, but I've got three stages of banana ripeness:

1) Early-to-Ripe:  Perfect for eating

2) Just Past Ripe:  Perfect for mashing into an Elvis sandwich (fried peanut butter & banana - don't forget the bacon, honey, etc.)

3) Way Past Ripe (mostly black):  Put in the freezer for banana bread or banana cake

'No banana shall ever go to waste again!'

McGurk and leechlake like this

I'd tell ya but then it wouldn't be a secret.....;)

And then technically I would be off topic.

RebelSS likes this

I'm going to be making that secret RH bacon butter this weekend and also the weatherman missed this snow storm.  That makes him 1-4 in the TC area this Snow Season.

LindellProStaf likes this

Not a secret to those in the know but most people are still perplexed by both the procedure and the name: Spatchcock.

Let your poultry dry out uncovered with some salt on the skin in the fridge for a day.  Wipe off and use as desired for crispier skin and more flavorful meat. 

Get the brownest, ugliest and oldest top shelf steaks at the supermarket, and see if you can get a manager's discount on them. Red steaks sell better but brown ones are already aged a bit and will be more tender.

Season your steaks as desired and let them sit uncovered in the fridge for a day or 2.  Flip them twice a day for more tender steak.

Rinse off cheap Hormel "always tender" ribs a few times in clean water before prepping them, and use a low salt rub or they tend to get "hammy."

Steaming eggs is faster and easier than boiling.  Use a steam basket in a large saucepan and add enough water to get to the bottom of the basket.  Get the water boiling in the empty pan, add the eggs and cover on heat for 12 minutes.  Cool and use as desired.

bobberineyes, JP Z, RebelSS and 1 other like this

Wow - I got all the way to the eggs in McGurk's post before I realized that wasn't just one recipe. I kept thinking....poulty, steak, ribs, and now we're adding eggs to this thing, what a concoction! Woah...!!

Has anyone heard of poking a hole in an egg?!? Is that a secret :D

Edited by SkunkedAgain
OLE77, McGurk, RebelSS and 1 other like this

9 minutes ago, SkunkedAgain said:

Wow - I got all the way to the eggs in McGurk's post before I realized that wasn't just one recipe. I kept thinking....poulty, steak, ribs, and now we're adding eggs to this thing, what a concoction! Woah...!!

Has anyone heard of poking a hole in an egg?!? Is that a secret :D

yea I think I heard something about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin:

RebelSS likes this

When skinning a squirrel,  leave the tail on, then cut "rings" around all four legs, then stand on the tail while you pull off the skin just like a shirt. *ZIP*  ;)

1 hour ago, SkunkedAgain said:

Re-reading it, it does look like it could be one long recipe!  Oops! I guess I should have used bullet points..  

That would make for some serious protein: Turkey, Steak, Ribs, and Eggs all at the same time! Spatchcock indeed!

I've read OTC's one paragraph 1000 word essays before, made sense to me.

Edited by leechlake
McGurk likes this