• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hog casing question

I ordered a pack of hog casings packed in salt.  The directions on the bag say to soak for 30-45 minutes in water before use to make them playable.  I thought conventional wisdom was to have them soak for at least a few hours if not overnight?  Do you really only need to do it for 30-45?  If I was busy and took started to soak them but didn't use them for close to 24 hrs, is that too long?

Not too long.  30-45 minutes is not enough time in my opinion  to do a good job.  You should first rinse them to get all the salt off.  Then run some water through them from the faucet on the sink and then soak them.  Leave them in the fridge overnight.  good luck.

Well, I'll probably get up early tomorrow to rinse and soak them all day. I will be stuffing a 10lb batch of chili dogs tomorrow night and smoking them on Saturday after an overnight cure. While they're in the smoker, I'll be mixing a 25lb batch of venny bacon to cure Sat. Night and smoking that all day Sunday. Wife will be working most of that time and I'll have both boys to contend with as well. May God have mercy on my soul! I'll post a pictoral progress in another thread.

Fresh casings are much better than the salted variety, but nobody sells them in hobbyist quantity.  Making friends with the local butcher shop is a good way to get your hands on some.  In a pinch when using the salted variety I soak them overnight and a hour or two before use I add a tablespoon of 2 of vinegar to the solution.  It seems to make them a little more elastic and knocks down that funky smell they have.