• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opener destinations

bassfshin24

Man could this spring go any slower!!! We got teased with 70 degree weather 3 weeks ago and then 60s the past two days and now cold again. Jeez I just want to get out and catch some bass. 

Got me thinking about opener. Where is everyone headed for MN opener? 

I found out that my wife works Friday evening and decided to pick up a Sunday shift at the hospital without checking the dates with me. I was not too happy haha. Anyway she felt pretty bad and said I could fish all day Saturday and get a babysitter Sunday and head out fishing. So here's my plans. Going to head up to Mille Lacs super early Saturday morning and fish all day there and then do some small lake hoping on Sunday around the cities. It will be interesting to see where the fish are at stage wise with this inconsistent weather we are having. 

Glad I read this, I thought Mothers day was on that Sunday! I was kinda wondering why your wife picked up a day of work on Mothers day.

I may not be Bass fishing on Opener as I realized my fathers 89th birthday falls on the opener, so I will be in New Ulm with him. We probably will hit the MN river from shore in the morning, but not too much for bass in there. Maybe if he feels up to it or time permits we will hit the one Bass lake in the area, but getting in the boat can be tricky for him these days.  Hopefully Sunday I will get out to one of the local lakes around here, now that I know it isn't Mother Day.

Edited by RuddyDuck

Ruddy-I too thought Mothers Day was MN opener weekend.....gooder it's the weekend before even though that's WI opener. I'll be with Bf24 on opener, but you might see me on said lake, no more nitro, I have a silver ranger 19' if your out there flag me down.

If I'm out there I'll swing by, though at this point not quite sure where I will be Sunday. Fishing some where though, since it isn't mothers day!!

I just spotted your new Boat on BBC. Looks nice, I like the color! 

8 hours ago, Juan Grande said:

Heading to up the Pond with TL for opener Todd?  You'll have a good guide!

Should be a good time, 

6 hours ago, M1dwestF1sh said:

I have WI opener to get my fill of largemouth. MN opener is going to be all for small jaws on the big pond. I'll probably launch out of liberty or isle in a green Stratos. Maybe I'll see you guys up there!

I go to WI on their opener also, out HWY 8, turtle lake area. 

I was set on Leech for the opener, as usual, but am batting around the idea of trailering down to Mille Lacs to chase giant smallies. If the weather looks ugly, I'll scrap both of those options and stay close to home and fish Trout or something up Hwy38. It will take pretty rough weather to keep me off Leech, though :)

7 hours ago, Craigums said:

Are we talking about the C&R opener? I'll be in WI that Saturday and either Mille Lacs or metro area Sunday

Doing another club tourney over the border? Where did you end up going last year? I know you asked about potential sites but I never heard back after that.

On 4/12/2016 at 9:48 PM, Nick Kuhn said:

Doing another club tourney over the border? Where did you end up going last year? I know you asked about potential sites but I never heard back after that.

Yes, and No. Last year it got voted down, people in the club didn't want to pay for a license if the fishing sucks (we had 2 bad years in a row primarily due to late ice out one year and a dink fest at Deer Lake the other). But, I convinced them to give it another shot. This year we'll be doing Wood Lake, We went there 5 years ago and it was decent, not sure if things have changed for the better or worse though.

On 4/14/2016 at 10:15 AM, Craigums said:

Yes, and No. Last year it got voted down, people in the club didn't want to pay for a license if the fishing sucks (we had 2 bad years in a row primarily due to late ice out one year and a dink fest at Deer Lake the other). But, I convinced them to give it another shot. This year we'll be doing Wood Lake, We went there 5 years ago and it was decent, not sure if things have changed for the better or worse though.

You'll have to give Bone another shot on a better Spring in a few years after the smallies take hold. Right now the biggest smallies are probably 16 inches. Wapo remains the most consistent lake in the county, but the Apple River occasionally throws out 20lb bags (it can be a very rewarding or very frustrating place to fish). Deer just isn't going to be a bass lake, it doesn't have the right dynamics. In fact the local club tournament here didn't even hit 7lbs on Deer for their tourney last year. Wood should have a decent mix of action and some decent fish. Not many huge fish there, so a solid 4 lber should be in the running for big fish. I'd anticipate around 15 lbs for 5 fish should win it for a small outing.

I wonder what the spawn is going to be like next weekend. I was on a shallow weedy lake with the family on Monday and saw 2 beds already. Water temp was 63 degrees. I'm guessing we will be at a perfect prespawn/spawn pattern. Man I am getting pumped!!!

I was out Panfishing from my kayak on Monday on a metro lake and water temps were 64 at the highest. It looked like the Crappies had finished their spawn. Sunfish were beginning to make beds and the Male bass were cruising the shallows. Now I'm wondering what stage the Smallies will be at on Vermilion for Opener.