• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Team Knock on Wood

DonBo

On Saturday, April 16, 2016 at 9:56 AM, monstermoose78 said:

Had take pee break and got busted by long break. Had to be home to the wife shoppin by 10 I just made it. Then off to a wedding. I moved the blind so I can sneak out and pee without being spotted. I did see the group of jakes as I was leaving.

Dig a hole and pee in the blind,never get out unless you have to leave. Once they become blind shy they are tough to kill. 

Got out this past weekend in the Brainerd area and called in a nice longbeard for my grandson. He shot it at about 20 yards. After he gave that one a dirt nap, 2 other longbeards came running in and gave him a stomping!  

Leaving for NE. tomorrow dark and early for my first hunt of the year where I will have a tag in my pocket and a gun in hand. Never been to Nebraska, so this will be a new state for me. We'll see how it goes. I'll give a report good or bad once we get back.

In the blind now, but no action close. Distant gobbling but the birds werent roosted where they were a few days back. Hunted yesterday with my dad on a different property and didnt have a great morning, but he was able to stick a nice Tom yesterday afternoon after I had to head to work. With work, late night Wild games, and early mornings to chase turkeys I am getting a little worn down! Can hunt today until noon, then not again until tomorrow evening. Weekend is free and I am looking forward to having full days to hunt if need be. Tough to stay on top of what the birds are doing otherwise. Will keep plugging away with all the time I have though and try to put one on the board.

Learned enough from my morning sit yesterday to give my uncle a heads up on where to approach his hunt this morning. He hunted the property I was on yesterday morning and was able to take a good Tom this morning while I was at work. Before he was able to leave another Tom arrived and had him pinned down. It was a very good bird so I will be after him tomorrow.

Both my dad and uncle have managed Toms now and both were very tough to fool with the decoys. My dad's tom finally came in after a pencil beard came to the decoy, but the large tom he shot had been gobbling and feeding back and forth for literally 5 hours without coming to the setup. Uncle's bird was similarly resistant and didnt come within range until his hens walked within a couple feet of the blind, but he still was cautious and was taken at 45 yards out. 

I think I am going to put the blind in a high activity area tomorrow and take a quiet, decoy free approach. See if i can't get them to travel through on their own, and if they pass out of range try to turn the tom around with some calls and try to fool him into looking for the hen he cant see. This worked well for me once before and I think is worth a shot.

Will be posting updates as the day goes on hopefully.

Good luck monster! I'm still in the blind myself. Quite a few gobblers in several directions this morning but they quieted up quite a bit after fly down. Went without decoys today and have had a couple hens come through within 20 yards but have yet to see a tom. A few hens are behind me in the midday nesting area and I am hoping to catch a tom wandering. The strength of the wind and the direction are not in my favor to get my calls carrying where I want them to. We'll see what happens.

You are 100% correct Archerysniper. That's exactly what I did this morning when my tom came to fifty yards and hung up. He finally went out of strut and was leaving and I grabbed the Power Crystal and started purring on it and a couple of clucks and he wheeled around went back into strut and came right in sort of.

Had a tom with two hens on the field this morning early on. Then the hens led him the other way and it has been raining hard ever since. Wind is blowing rain into the blind pretty hard. Not expecting much to happen at this point and the radar shows no end in sight. Ugh