• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dumping Cable for Streaming

1 minute ago, rundrave said:

I have to say I thought I would regret my decision to dump cable and not be able to watch the Twins but it turns out its been pretty easy so far lol

The Twins really have done their part to make cord cutting easy.  The last year I had cable the Twins were a 90+ win team.  Once I got rid of it they switched to being a 90+ loss team.  That really was nice of them to help justify my decision. 

3 hours ago, rundrave said:

I have to say I thought I would regret my decision to dump cable. Mainly because I would no longer be able to watch the Twins but it turns out its been pretty easy so far lol

Has anyone tried to watch FSN on Fox Sports go app? If I dont sign in with someone elses account I can see the games to watch. But if I sign in using an account from someone else it goes away? Is it possible that its blacked out due to the location/provider I am borrowing?

Yes, the shows very even by which provider you log in with.  If I log in with a comcast account, I don't see the Twolves games. (not sure on Twins), however when I log in with a different DirecTV account they show up.

We cut the cord the other day, another price increase, did not watch TV that much and there was just to much garbage on for my young son to watch. We will get a digital antenna and look into a Hulu stick. Really miss the BB playoff games already.. but I am getting more done around the house..

My 20 Mbits is 2.5 MB per second.   So 350 GB is roughly 150,000 seconds worth.  Or about 42 hours streaming multiple movies at the same time.  Only watching one HD stream at a time would get you to about 160 hours. 

HD streaming will use anywhere from 2 - 5GB per hour of streaming depending on what service you use.  Use an average of 3GB/hour will get you about 117 hours of streaming give or take a few.  Sounds like a lot, but if you have 5 people in the house and you factor in general web browsing, email, software updates, etc, it goes pretty fast.

A lot of companies have a data cap and do not enforce it, but some are very strict about it.  I used to have Mediacom and they started to charge extra if you went over 250GB/month so I dropped then a couple years ago.  I am not sure what their policy is now, but they were horrible to deal with.

Edited by spearchucker

14 minutes ago, spearchucker said:

HD streaming will use anywhere from 2 - 5GB per hour of streaming depending on what service you use.  Use an average of 3GB/hour will get you about 117 hours of streaming give or take a few.  Sounds like a lot, but if you have 5 people in the house and you factor in general web browsing, email, software updates, etc, it goes pretty fast.

A lot of companies have a data cap and do not enforce it, but some are very strict about it.  I used to have Mediacom and they started to charge extra if you went over 250GB/month so I dropped then a couple years ago.  I am not sure what their policy is now, but they were horrible to deal with.

Mediacom still does the same thing and they are still horrible to deal with. Who did you switch to?

It's been about a year since I made the switch and really glad I did. I use an antenna to pick up local channels. Then just stream with with amazon, hulu and netflix. I had slingtv but found I didn't really watch enough with it to justify it so I canceled that and added HBO Now. 

I don't see myself ever going back to cable or dish.

2 hours ago, Walleyehooker said:

Been considering doing the same. Can you get discovery or history channel on any of the streaming? I do have Amazon Prime already.

Attached is what you can get with the $40 package with SlingTV. Looks like they have history but not discovery. They also have $20 and $25 packages. The only thing I watched with any regularity when I had it was ESPN so I dropped it. 

Capture.PNG

Has anyone tried the PlayStation Vue Service?  Contemplating dumping Directv and getting sick of the back and forth between them and Dish network with the whole bidding war.  The minute you tell them you are cancelling then all of a sudden they want to deal.  Hoping someone had experience with Vue that could shed some light on how it is.

5 minutes ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

What are you all using/paying for internet?  Every time I have looked at cancelling my internet price is still like 60-70.  Cable tv is only about 25-30 to add on top of that.  Wondering if there is another option for internet I'm missing...

I think I pay about $50 from spectrum.  I'm in AV so probably the same provider available in Farmington.

I look at as internet service is 100% required at the house, and that's that.  Cable TV, not so much.   Not sure how you're bundled package works, but for a while I was paying $40 for internet and about $100 for directv in a bundled deal.  And I was watching hours of entertaining, yet pure garbage, programming.  cutting the cord was the best thing. 

I pay for netflix and I have amazon prime because I use amazon for basically everything except groceries, amazon video is just a bonus.   The wife recently signed up for slingTV and it gives us stuff like ESPN and Fox Sports North.  I think it's $20.  She wanted it and we maintain (mostly) separate finances, so she pays for it.  I would drop that in a heartbeat and shut the TV off, even though I enjoy watching a Wild game here and there.

I'm actually in Cottage grove now, through Xfintity I'm at around 105... If I drop TV my internet will still be 60 + taxes which will be right around 70.  Toss in netflix and one other and I'm back at where I'm currently at.  I have kodi for movies If needed so I'm not hurting there, but we like to watch some of the network shows and with mine and my wifes schedules the free dvr platform is huge.  I would love to save a few bucks but I'm just not seeing where I would at this point in my area.  If I could get internet to closer to 50 and not have 12gig speeds it might be worth it.

14 minutes ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

I'm actually in Cottage grove now, through Xfintity I'm at around 105... If I drop TV my internet will still be 60 + taxes which will be right around 70.  Toss in netflix and one other and I'm back at where I'm currently at.  I have kodi for movies If needed so I'm not hurting there, but we like to watch some of the network shows and with mine and my wifes schedules the free dvr platform is huge.  I would love to save a few bucks but I'm just not seeing where I would at this point in my area.  If I could get internet to closer to 50 and not have 12gig speeds it might be worth it.

I have Xfinity too. When I signed up I realized a few ways I could save a few bucks was to go with a lower quality "box" and to buy my own Modem. The lower level box doesn't let me record shows or pause live video - but it's still HD quality and I think it saves me about $10/month. The modem cost me around $75, but Comcast charges you $10/month for the modem rental so it didn't take long to come out ahead on that deal.

Perhaps you're already doing those things, but just thought I would mention it since you said you'd love to save a few bucks. If you buy a modem you have to be sure to check Xfinity's page for one that meets their specs. 

Edited by Getanet

8 hours ago, Cooperman said:

I have antenna (free) once you by the antenna, Amazon Prime (Chrome-cast) $99.00 per year.

and SlingTV, $20.00 a month. That’s all I need.

What are you chrome casting amazon prime from, chrome browser on a computer.?

Prime video app doesn't do chrome cast that I can see.   I have a roku that does amazon as well as other stuff, and a chromecast.  Too bad since prime video app has some cool stuff that roku version doesn't.