• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pb snack

eyeguy 54

Kinda off track, but there was an article in the local Public utilities newsletter this week that woodpeckers are destroying the power poles here in town. They've been wrapping the upper ends of them with wire mesh, but they say it's so bad, they've had numerous poles that had to be replaced, as they were ready to fail from all the holes. Who woulda thought woody could do all that?   

bird09.gif

On 4/1/2016 at 9:48 AM, RebelSS said:

Kinda off track, but there was an article in the local Public utilities newsletter this week that woodpeckers are destroying the power poles here in town. They've been wrapping the upper ends of them with wire mesh, but they say it's so bad, they've had numerous poles that had to be replaced, as they were ready to fail from all the holes. Who woulda thought woody could do all that?   

bird09.gif

Funny you should mention that.  I was out for my walk a couple days ago, before it rained and got cold, and there were 3 rpu trucks along 25th st SW.  I asked the guy what they were doing, and he said they were fixing the poles where the pileated peckers have hollowed them out for nesting cavities.. They put dowels and epoxy in and wrap the pole with hardware cloth.  These are the high voltage type poles.   Said it is a big problem.     Funny, I am a block away and never see pileated woodpeckers.  

I see one every now and then. More 'peckers lately, as a lot of dying birches around here. Mine hasn't got long left, took about 1/3 off it off last year before it fell on someone, was hanging over the sidewalk.

2 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

put PB suet out for them and save your trees!  lol   just the downys peck on the house. cedar siding. rows of holes. doesnt bug me bt the wifey says zap them.. 

you nailed that, I have cedar trim, and they all are downys.

15 hours ago, knoppers said:

you nailed that, I have cedar trim, and they all are downys.

Just had to patch holes in our daughter's house, and help the guy next door to her with her holes.  These were big holes in the wood siding.  Probably downy pecker but might have been hairy.  Didn't get a real good look at it.  The holes were up to like 2 inches diameter. 

3 hours ago, RebelSS said:

They go up and down my deck rail vertical stringers and tap-tap-tap away...and there are NO HOLES  or bugs in or on my deck stringers!!! I have no idea why they do that....

Maybe the drummers are getting ready to join a rock band and just practicing.  :lol: