• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

This is the year...I hope

Siwulat

The fly fishing section seems dead, so I figured this section will work. Anyways...I bought a fly rod a few years ago and never really had time to figure out what I was doing. I decided that this is the year to dedicate some time and figure it out DIY style.

Goal: land one fish. Species, length, weight is no matter. I'll hope to get onto some local FiN ponds chasing panfish or whatever else bites. 

Let's hope the learning isn't so steep that I can't climb it! 

Sunnies are easy.  If I can do it you can too.  Practice casting in the  yard.  Then pick up a few nymphs, or wet flies, or poppers and go for it.  cast it, retrieve a few feet, recast.  

Trout aren't even that hard...  get some little dry flies or nymphs and head on down to SE MN. 

Delcecchi is right on. Practice casting (just the line) in your yard. It will shorten the learning curve a ton.

My dad taught me in my early teens and I would fish for sunnies in the spring at cleary lake (prior lake area). Any place that is clear of backcast obstructions is good to start.

If you want to chase trout with a fly rod, the kinnickinnic is more fly-fishable that most streams in this region. Most streams within a daytrip of the tc metro are narrow, overgrown, and best fished from the bank (not waded), so they aren't very cooperative with less experienced fly fishermen.

It's been several years since I've fly fished, but I spooled up this winter and have been yard casting with the same goal. I'll be out to catch panfish later this week.

You will have fun! I a not good, but used to do it more. I should start again more on smallies in my lake...

So here is my advice, that I got from an Orvis fly casting instructor friend. Learn the "roll cast"! Holy cow, is it easy, great for off docks or when you have stuff behind you, and honestly takes minutes to learn, and not much longer to get good at.

also, you will be amazed at how during what you think is a totally normal good cast, with no noticeable hiccups... that your tippet will come back with a knot in it... haha! I still ca't figure out how I do that, but I do :)

Have fun!