• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

On the water 2016

Well like the title says... Who's been on the water with the paddle this year???

The season is still very young. I have not been out fishing yet, but the 'yak has been in the water twice just for short paddles to stretch the arms out a bit. 

Crappie season will be on us soon enough. Can't wait!!!

Still hanging up in the garage. I'd like to put a coat of epoxy on it before this years adventures.

An April BW trip is starting to look unlikely at the moment, unless we get another sustained warm up in the north country.

That MN river is gonna get some action soon. (I say that every year and then do not do it)

:)

I have one 2016 trip under my belt scouting some new water. Was out last Monday, and it was in the 60's but fish were not moving up shallow yet. Then it got cold again, only to have a high of 67 here yesterday. Now forecasting 5-7 inches of snow tomorrow. Cant win with this weather lol

Just now, leech~~ said:

Great picture Duff.  Fish?

Marked fish both days, but couldn't get a bite.

Didn't see another soul for two days, just the hound and I soaking it all in.

She's too big for my solo canoe, so I thought I'd introduce her to the BW during her favorite time of the year.

3 minutes ago, Duffman said:

Marked fish both days, but couldn't get a bite.

Didn't see another soul for two days, just the hound and I soaking it all in.

She's too big for my solo canoe, so I thought I'd introduce her to the BW during her favorite time of the year.

I was looking around for the trip report to see some more pictures of the camp setup and.........

Edited by leech~~

I got out this afternoon for a few hours. Felt like a hot summer day with temps in the lower 80s. But with the temps and a nice south wind blowing, the northern shorelines were warming up fast. Caught crappies, gills, and a stray bass all in about 1-3 fow. Even came away with dinner.

IMG_20160418_155704135_HDR.jpg

I was able to drop my kayak in on some Pool 2 river backwaters on 4/16. It was windy but it felt good to get back out. I wound up catching a dozen or so small bass that were up shallow. I wanted to target Crappie but the wind and its direction weren't cooperating.

You guys are making me jealous. Other than a few quick paddles to check bird counts here at home I have yet to be on the water to fish. Between the last few spring PM's at work and the end of the school year rush for the goose it's been chaotic at best. The way things go around here I will be ready to fish right around the time I am ready to get the decoys out and chase geese. 

We got out and enjoyed the evening last night. You would be amazed what you can learn about and say to your kids by just sitting in silence and watching the sunset from the water. It's not as cool as watching a sunrise and witnessing the pond wake up, but watching everything wrap up their day and go to bed and seeing the nighttime animals start there day has its place too. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Enjoy your kids when they are little. They grow up before you realize it and you can't go back. Just looking at her pictures from last spring to now it's unreal. 

Finally got the canoe out on the water for the first time this year yesterday after work. Fished the city lakes, a few small bass. Had a nice (10-12lb?) pike follow my crankbait in that almost fell for the figure 8..........until I smacked the crank off of the side of its head. :)

There were some nice sights out there, but I can tell summer isn't in full swing yet.

;);)

Felt good to get out, but these old man paddling muscles need some work to get in shape.

Wanted to get some time in before the furnace kicks in these next couple of days.

I predict a rough year for me in terms of fishing and paddling.  My 2nd kid was born a few weeks ago so free time has gone mostly extinct for the time being.  I do have a week booked with the family at a cabin on the Gunflint in August so I'm guessing my paddling will be confined to that week this year.  My only hope is that my 3 year old keeps asking to go canoeing or as she calls its "a ride in the slow boat" as opposed to the loud boat (any type of motor boat).

It is hard to go out and mow the lawn and see the canoe hanging in the garage taunting me.

Paddled and fished a metro slime hole on Sat morning, 8 pike and 4 bass all on topwater. That sure can be a fun way to spend time on the water if they are hitting. Gotta get back out there and do some more of that. Only soul out there.