• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Ice Castle Rv edition fish house

Down2Earth

I'm going to be purchasing a new Ice castle 21 ft Rv edition with hydraulic frame.  I'm just looking to see what others have paid as $25,000 seems pretty high.  I can buy 1 heck of a camper for that price, but I can't take it ice fishing.  We are in no hurry I could even wait until the ice show if it's that much of a better deal.  How much "wiggle" room is there?  Can I buy direct from the factory?  I have seen some carry over models from 2016 but they seem to have one thing or another missing.  One might have the insulation package but not have a bercon hydraulic frame.  One may have those things but then have the small refrigerator etc.. Thanks for the input.

7 minutes ago, Down2Earth said:

I'm going to be purchasing a new Ice castle 21 ft Rv edition with hydraulic frame.  I'm just looking to see what others have paid as $25,000 seems pretty high.  I can buy 1 heck of a camper for that price, but I can't take it ice fishing.  We are in no hurry I could even wait until the ice show if it's that much of a better deal.  How much "wiggle" room is there?  Can I buy direct from the factory?  I have seen some carry over models from 2016 but they seem to have one thing or another missing.  One might have the insulation package but not have a bercon hydraulic frame.  One may have those things but then have the small refrigerator etc.. Thanks for the input.

New or used?  25 isn't a crazy amount for a good RV edition with all the bells.  Campers are much cheaper because they dont usually have to be insulated as well, weight isn't usually as much of a concern and they don't have to partially design around the axel.  If your not in a hurry I would just keep looking on the local sites and see what you can find.  What someone may have bought for a couple years back or even last year may change dramatically to this year.

Are you handy enough to build?  Getting a shell, or even building the whole trailer from scratch would save you a huge chunk of money and get you exactly what your looking for.  If not just keep an eye open.  I would imagine now would be a pretty good time with dealers trying to clear their lots for campers.  Don't know if the RV editions go as cheap in the spring though as they can be multipurpose for the summer too.

Edited by Moon Lake Refuge

7 minutes ago, Hawg said:

This year more than any I have to believe there are dealers out there that want them gone. This had to be a dismal year for them in sales, wouldn't you think?

I agree, Just don't know the difference in sales with the RV editions.  I could see a lot of people buying in the summer for camping too, but who knows.

I don't think that's too bad for an 21' RV version with a hydro frame.  That being said, you could probably negotiate at least a couple grand off of them.  Just for comparison, you can get a 21' Yetti empty shell for just over $18,000 (link) and that has nothing in it.  They are asking $34k for their base model 21' toy hauler and that doesn't have any of the bells and whistles that an RV edition would have http://myyetti.rvusa.com/2016-yetti-legend-sport-8-x-21-toyhauler-new-fish-house-mn-i1858790.

After owning a Yetti and fishing more than my fair share out of multiple Ice Castles I don't think I'd own anything else besides a Yetti, Ridgeline, or Firebrand (aluminum manufactures).  You pay for what you get and I just can't spend that kind of money on an Ice Castle and their quality.  It's not terrible but if I'm spending the money I might as well pony up the few extra bucks and get a quality product that I'm going to be able to appreciate more and hopefully longer. 

I bought my 2016 8x16' Yetti shell last summer and finished it off myself.  I have about $17k into it total.  This is my first ice shack and that price includes everything I needed to be ready to fish including all the materials needed to finish off the inside and the accessories I "needed" to fish like a Honda EU2000i generator, external gas tanks, 2-30Lb LP tanks, 50" TV, DVD player, speaker system, ect.  I've got 9 holes, a fridge, two couches, 4 beds that can easily sleep 5 people, open layout, a removable table that is 30x36" and can extend to 30x72". 

I finished off the shack for ice fishing but planned to use it as a camper in the summer as well.  The only thing I'm missing is the AC.  I'm not a fan of the roof mount AC's so I'm going to get a portable AC that exhausts through hoses that go out the windows (I'm actually going to route the exhaust out a fishing hole instead of a window). 

Long story short - if you're any bit handy with some power tools then I would seriously investigate finishing off your own or building a complete rig (you can by the frame separate).  Yetti doesn't offer anything remotely close to what I built as far as layout goes, that's the main reason I finished off my own.  Even though I'm missing the awing and a few "extras" that I wouldn't even use like an oven or outdoor speakers I would rank my shack between their Outpost and Extreme.  If I was to have them build the exact same shack as mine I would think it would cost around $23K and I'd still have to spend another $2k extra for the generator, TV, and other odds and ends.  So at the end of the day $17K vs $25K, I saved myself around $6-$8K by building myself and was able to build it the exact way I wanted it. 

2 hours ago, Down2Earth said:

Check with Northern Sales in Pine River you can custom order an Ice Castle from them and get it the way you want it and get it for close to what you quoted, unless you find one that's a carry over drastically reduced like Hawg mentioned. Hydraulic is very nice and glavanized seems to be the way to go.

Now is the time to go and get a good deal on the 2016 RV edition, as the 2017s are hitting the lots right now.  $25k for an RV edition is a little bit on the high side.  I would think you can be around $22-23k.

If you are thinking of attempting to build the RV edition on the Berkon frame, you won't save much.  Berkon is getting $6,500 for the frame, and you'll have a minimum of $15k to go on top of that.  You'll probably end up with higher quality, and you'll get exactly what you want.     

The Valley and Berkon frames are quite similar, structurally.  The one I'd personally stay away from on the 21' Ice Castles is Tebben, as they are built with 2"x4" steel vs the 2"x5".  If you check out the Ice Castle owner group Facebook page, frame flex (not just with Tebben frames) is a major issue causing all sorts of problems from doors and windows that won't open and close, siding popping off, various roof and wall leaks, Happi Jac beds falling off the wall, etc.  

20 hours ago, Down2Earth said:

This is what I'm hoping for.

I could build this however I just have too many other things going on and don't want to fit it in.  When I'm off of work, not attending both kids sporting events, dance, Tae kwon do, etc I want to be out fishing or enjoying the summer.  Paying someone is well worth the opportunity cost to me. I just thought wow the price seemed steep but I've been wrong before.  I knew those here would set me straight.  Thanks everyone.

I've heard good and bad on both(this is not speaking from experience so take it for a grain) however working on ours I wouldn't consider anything but galvenized.  This is a spendy hobby and done right I will last you a lifetime... done wrong and lots of money down the drain in fixes.