• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2017 Fish House Build

Lip_Ripper Guy

11 hours ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

Plan for 500 hours for actual building on your first build, and another 500 hours of designing, tracking down, picking up, and ordering materials, and you might be close :)

Slap an additional 250-500 on top of all that if you decide to just 'Wing it" on your first house.(Not recommended!!)

Just now, YettiStyle said:

...and then add another couple thousand to the budget for new tools that you just have to have :D

Nah, we were set there, really only needed a 30 dollar nibbled and I splurged on a $100 multi tool but that has already paid itself in other projects!

Burner size shouldn't matter though a btu is a btu. Maybe the water heater is more efficient then a forced air furnace. Never looked at the ratings. Hopefully version 1.1 will prove even more efficient for you. 

I'm like you I would rather spend a bit more to get exactly what I want. Honestly I am probably way to picky to buy one that's already built.

On 1/3/2017 at 11:24 PM, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

I also ordered some insulated wheel skirts a few weeks back that shipped out today.  Hopefully I'll have them for the weekend.  

Got any pics of these?  Interested how they look.

Jealous

19 hours ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

Haven't weighed it.  

Catching tons of fish.  Just had an awesome weekend up on Mille Lacs.  Going back up this weekend.  Then it's off to Gull for the big tournament.  

4 hours ago, grasshopper said:

Tons of fish on Mille Lacs. LOL right. Must had a lot of people with u for a ton on Mille Lacs.

I suspect you haven't visited this year or seen the reports.  

And, for the record, I didn't say I was catching "tons" on Mille Lacs, but it was the best lake I've visited in the last two years.  And it wasn't even close.    

+1

This is not an isolated report. Mille Lacs has been outstanding all year. Lots of houses come and go each weekend, almost like the good old days. Those businesses can really use a boost, they've suffered hard because of the DNR/Indian incompetency. 

Edited by Hawg

On 10/13/2016 at 10:10 AM, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

New idea for the lift bed!  The aluminum on aluminum just plain isn't going to work, so I figured I'd run this idea by all the experts, first!  The idea was born from a garage door track concept, and I actually went out and bought nylon garage door rollers.  That has potential, but I think this is better...

The verticals (mounted first to the flat material and then to the wall) will be strut channel.  I can get this material in 12 gauge, so plenty of strength.

11240726.jpg

Bolted to the aluminum bed frame will be a strut trolley.  

11241054.jpg

Which rides in the channel, like this.

Channel-Trolley-Support-P1834A.png

There needs to be some sort of a bearing, roller, gear, or wheel in the system, and I think this accomplishes that nicely.

Stopping there could be sufficient, but I'm also thinking of incorporating a really stiff spring into the system.  The side walls are really close to the same width, but the spring could help with any minor inconsistencies, and potentially help eliminate any binding if both sides aren't lifted perfectly evenly.  (in theory) 

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 10.09.17 AM.png

What do we think??

Were you able to find decent pricing on the struts and trolleys?  Right now if I buy the trolleys individually, on Amazon they're about $28 a piece and the unistrut channels are $200 for a pack of (10) 10'ers.  Or the value brand on zoro.com you can get in 5' lengths for $17 a piece.

It wouldn't be so bad, except I'm planning on 2 lift bunks, one in the front and one in the back.  That gets pretty spendy having to buy 8 of each!

I'm also looking into using linear actuators as a lifting mechanism.  Has anyone used these for anything like this with any luck?  I've got a pair on order just to see if they'll work.  No idea how much power they'll need to lift and lower, but I'll probably need (4) for each bunk.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 7:19 PM, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

We've run into some rainy weather the last two days, but we are still mostly on track.  The 24' siding got finished off tonight, and we have just one last sheet to throw on the 21' tomorrow.

E03805AD-4B4E-43B4-8E5D-48A9C727EA0A_zps    

C7FC6612-65B3-4D41-B75E-A1359538AFE5_zps

We'll probably install the roofs on Saturday, and then get into some wiring the rest of the weekend.  I picked up the diamond plate today, so we'll get going on that next week.     

Used a small paint sprayer, and about 2 1/2 gallons of lacquer.  

Was the layout the same for this house and do you have anymore pics of the inside of the 24'?

On 11/5/2017 at 9:40 AM, jamiewilson said:

Hey lip ripper, would you mind updating your pictures? Only like half of them show up now 

I would have to find a new photo host besides Photobucket, and I don't really want to deal with finding a new host and re-doing all the links.