• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The reverse migration is in full swing!!! 

The spring breeding colors on the returning ducks makes it worth the effort to keep an eye out alone. 

We've seen mostly divers and geese since the ice went out. The puddle ducks won't be far behind. A lot of what is here now is just resting and grabbing a quick bite and a drink. But some will stay. I had a hen hooded merganser standing on the top of one of my Woodduck boxes the other day, and have seen several drake mergansers on the lake. 

The goose and i got several new Woodduck boxes out for this year. No new mallard tubes, but we will get them out next year. Can't wait to see if they get used. 

Pretty much seeing mergansers at this point too.  There have been some mallards and woodies around but they've been far outnumbered by divers.  Lots of goldeneyes following the ice out.  

I really like buffleheads and was tickled to get a nice close pic with my phone.  I tried adding here but can't get it in this post any other way than sideways. :(:(

I'm hoping to knock out a few Woodduck houses Saturday and hang them Sunday. A little late but they will be out for the following year anyway. Excited to see if the mallard tube we put out last year gets used. 

I've been seeing a few divers and lots of geese around. 

Sorry to say but some woodies are back. I just took a paddle and flushed 2 pairs of woodies, 5 mergs, 2 mallards, and saw another bunch of woodies coming to roost.

One of the mergs flapped out from the shoreline keeping the wounded bird wing splash going all the way - never really left.

Theres a pair of geese that have their nest picked out too.

But I agree 100% on the houses - they'll probably get used this year.

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

Thanks Steve! :D

I tried everything I could 'cept a whistle!  That was a good one MJ...

We're at the kitchen table now watching a hen woodie customize the lining of the box.  Sweet...

We really need to start a thread on how to post cell pictures straight. It seems to be happening to everyone.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

wooden hen tube #1 is officially in the water. I figure 10years from now when I am going over the log books looking at success rates for boxes it will be a low percentage box. But it's the first one out, so it will get the #1 tag. (In all honesty it's #4 if you count the Woodduck boxes. But I am going to keep the tubes and the Woodduck boxes separate in the logs)

I have 3 more to install that will go in better cover areas around the lake and 2 that will get installed at a couple other slew's. 

I am very excited to see how this nesting box project goes. As cover gets mowed down the nesting ducks get fewer and geese take over. Putting nesting cover back out will hopefully lead to more ducks in the next few years. 

The last of this seasons tubes installed today. A late start that's for sure, but at least they are out there. A short paddle around today confirmed that I should be looking more at Woodduck boxes for next season. But the lumber for the ducktubes was recycled from an old dock, and free is free, to mallard tubes it is. 

Good luck to those who put out nesting structures this spring. Please share your successes. 

A ground nesting mallard has a 1 in 5 chance of her nest surviving. One using a tube structure has a 9 in 10 success rate. Woodducks need cavities to nest in. If she can't find one suitable she will move to a different body of water or not nest at all.

The Woodduck box program has helped to turn that species of duck around and make it one of the most popular. 

We as hunters are stewards to the animals we hunt. Doing our part to give the ducks the best possible chance to get through the spring will give us a chance to have a good fall. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Saw some goslings last week in Maple Grove, earliest ones I've ever seen. Last night saw a mallard with 6 ducklings in my pond, also pretty darn early for ducks. Then saw a pair of geese with some goslings just at dark. Lots of activity this year. 

On a different note, saw lots of shovelers on Pelican(wright county) the last week or two. They are sure funny, they just swim in circles filtering for food! 

I'm seeing several flocks of juvenile non paired up birds around again. A flock of 11 and a flock of 17 have been roosting here the last few nights. Not sure where they are going during the day, but they are coming back here at night.

Geese do not pair until their third spring and if they loose their partner during the fall season they will not pair again for at least a year. Strange birds... Hard to understand how they figure it all out, but they do.